Rocky Island Lake

Lunker777

Hey everyone

A buddy of mine and myself are headed up North in a couple weeks to meet up with some old friends from College. We are going ice fishing for the weekend and have a camp on "Rocky Island Lake"

Im not looking for any hot spots or secrets or anything, just curious is anyone knows the lake and could give me some feed back on what to expect!

Thanks for any help !

Had friends there may long of 2010. They did well with walleye and whitefish and to be quite honest arn't elite anglers... Im not to sure about the size but I would think a 12-16" average with a 24-25" fish being a big walleye for you up there.

I'd be jacked to spend a few days on the ice there. There was a blurb about it in an issue of In-Fisherman Magazine as a North American hotspot but even around the Soo you don't hear to much about it. There isn't a lot of traffic on that body of water.

It was drained at some point in the last decade but Im not sure when or for how long.

Put it this way.....definitly on my list of walleye water I want to try around here...

If I can scratch some more info up for you I'll let you know.

I'd be interested in knowing about the roads tho....If they are plowed or not and how far in.....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

It was drained at some point in the last decade but Im not sure when or for how long.

Put it this way.....definitly on my list of walleye water I want to try around here...

I guess I was there when it was drained. :lol:

If memory serves about 3-4 years ago?

If one had access to a snowmachine there's several other lakes in general vicinity that I know are better.

On the other hand if I knew someone with a camp on the reservoir I'd go too. ;)

If one had access to a snowmachine there's several other lakes in general vicinity that I know are better.

On the other hand if I knew someone with a camp on the reservoir I'd go too. ;)

Forsure! Ive never even fished Aubrey ....always kept on going up the highway to the Sultan at least.

What I would do for a camp almost anywhere up the 129....

Edited by TDunn

Actually I had Sultan in mind. There's a lake in that area I'd LOVE to be on right now.

Same! I do at least 1 trip for eyes off the sultan a year. Ive even stayed at Wakami...Enjoyed that but nothing beats those lakes that take some bush whackin!