Ice fishing south end of Lake Muskoka

turtle

I will be ice fishing next month at the south end of Lake Muskoka, just up from Gravenhurst. I will be starting out from Bear Bay and walking, so max 1-2 km out from Bear Bay. I am told Bear Bay is pretty shallow and more of a pike area. What other species are around this area in deeper water - lake trout, walleye? Any suggestions on where to start (I know get a hydrographic map) and what to use? Not looking for waypoints just general info. Thanks.

Hey Turtle,

There are Lakers and Walleye in Muskoka. The Lakers are usually in the deeper water, look for shoals, and the occassional flat spot around 60FoW. The Walleye fishery is a little better further up the lake, so for your location, look for a dropoff into deeper water, and dangle some minnows in front of them. Williams spoons are also generally good to be jigged about 1-3 feet above bottom.

Tight Lines,

GR

Hey Turtle,

There are Lakers and Walleye in Muskoka. The Lakers are usually in the deeper water, look for shoals, and the occassional flat spot around 60FoW. The Walleye fishery is a little better further up the lake, so for your location, look for a dropoff into deeper water, and dangle some minnows in front of them. Williams spoons are also generally good to be jigged about 1-3 feet above bottom.

Tight Lines,

GR

Thanks for the info, I'll grab a lake map, depth finder and give it a go, I dont expect much fishing a new lake but in the past with some research I'vd done OK or better. I fish Haliburton area and Simcoe so it sounds like I have the right gear already.

We always had pretty good luck out by Taboo resort formally Muskoka Sands Inn. . Lots of Lakers, Pike and the occasional Ling as well. The area was knows locally as Pogies Point. You take Muskoka Beach Road and when you gets just past the Golf coarse you should see several shacks out past Taboo.