Which Reel for Which Techniques

PainInTheBass

Hey all,

I have the following reels, purchased from various membes from various message boards, and I was wondering which techniques you would apply each reel to.

I currently have:

1 x TD Sol

1 x TD Viento

2 x TD Fuego

1 x TD Advantage HSTA

1 x TD Zillon HA

I already also have an Abu Garcia c3 4600 modded to a c6 that I use for deep crankbaits, so deep crankbaits is out of the question for the above reels, not that their gear ratios were conducive to the technique anyways.

Throw out any recommendations you may have. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

PITB

Hey PITB,

As far as I know, your Sol is the most finesse of the reels you have. I don't know if you can expect throwing weights you would with a pixy, but I'm guessing shakey heads and stuff would be no problem.

As for the rest of the reels, you should be able to handle all sorts of baits with those reels. Anywhere from plastics all the way to flipping, depending on what line you put on the reel.

Thanks EC1.

I figured something along these lines

1 x TD S o l - finesse

1 x TD Viento - worms/soft plastics (got the twitching bar, might as well use it)

2 x TD Fuego - Jerkbaits? Spinnerbaits?/Lipless Crankbaits? Shallow Crankbaits?

1 x TD Advantage HSTA - Jigs? Spinnerbaits?/Lipless Crankbaits?

1 x TD Zillon HA - Jigs? Spinnerbaits?/Lipless Crankbaits?

I don't throw frogs enough to have a rod/reelcombo dedicated to it.

Thanks EC1.

I figured something along these lines

1 x TD S o l - finesse

1 x TD Viento - worms/soft plastics (got the twitching bar, might as well use it)

2 x TD Fuego - Jerkbaits? Spinnerbaits?/Lipless Crankbaits? Shallow Crankbaits?

1 x TD Advantage HSTA - Jigs? Spinnerbaits?/Lipless Crankbaits?

1 x TD Zillon HA - Jigs? Spinnerbaits?/Lipless Crankbaits?

I don't throw frogs enough to have a rod/reelcombo dedicated to it.

This is very similar to what I would have suggested. Great collection of reels you have there btw! The Sol makes sense for finesse fishing because the the Mag-V breaking and shallower spool. My only issue with that reel is the 5.8:1 gear ratio is to slow for me, even for finesse apps. The viento is a no brainer for bottom bounching techs. What rods do you have paired with this great reel collection?

This is very similar to what I would have suggested. Great collection of reels you have there btw! The S O L makes sense for finesse fishing because the the Mag-V breaking and shallower spool. My only issue with that reel is the 5.8:1 gear ratio is to slow for me, even for finesse apps. The viento is a no brainer for bottom bounching techs. What rods do you have paired with this great reel collection?

Well, My round Abu is on a 7' MHM St. Croix Premier. I have a 6'6" turd Browning Midas whose balance and I action I love for jerkbaits/topwaters. I have a 7' MHF Okuma C3 that I tend to use for spinnerbaits/lipless traps since it is a little tip heavy making it appropriate for tip down techniques. I also have a 7'3" MHXF Rapala R-Type that I was using for jigs. I am planning on building a finesse rod on an MHX SJ781 blank for the S O L; a 7' M-MHF worm rod; and one more rod for whichever reel I still have not designated.

Of the Fuego, Advantage and Zillion, which has the best range of castable weight? Which is the most robustly geared, better for say spinner baits? Which is best for pitching? Best for casting plugs?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I think the Zillion would handle heavier baits better than the other two. Its a more sturdy reel and I think it has brass gearing which should improve smoothness under heavier loads. The fuego probably handles lighter weights the best of the three. I am not a daiwa expert though so I could be wrong. You should check out the forum at tackletour.com. Lots of daiwa guys on there that know these reels inside out.