West Arm Nipissing Early August Advice??

carpe146

Hello All,

Thanks for the help with the last post. We just booked for Saenchiur Flechey on the West Arm of Nipissing. The resort looks good and it sounds like the fihing is better on the West Arm than Marten River. Being that its our first trip up anybody have any tips for Muskies or Northerns in early August. Also where do you guys fall lures or live bait?

Thanks Again

Use the usual stuff for pike anywhere you see weeds and you should do OK. My son and I have had luck using crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Chartruese was a good colour a couple years ago. That being said, you'll be into the heat of summer and warm water, so don't be surprised if you don't see a lot of bigger fish if you're mainly casting in shallower water.

I haven't targetted musky there yet, but I think a search of old posts should bring up some info because there are a lot of guys with a lot of musky smarts on this board, and they are up there regularly. Beautiful area, one of my favourites. Try get a hydrographic chart before you go...lots of rocks, structure. Andy

Look at the last post by irishfield. The last picture shows a bridge. On one side of that bridge is Lakair lodge. Right in front of the lodge before the bridge there is a red buoy. There is a sharp drop from a shelf from about 6 feet of water inside that buoy to 30 or so feet to wards the channel. Fish tend to congregate there in the morning and evening and you can pick up walleye and pike by jigging as well as other stuff like catfish and rock bass. If they are not biting there, move to the other side right in the middle of the channel. Bring leaches for walleye for that part of the season. As far as pike, there are two large bays, can't remember their name but you can pick off small pike in the weeds by casting anything shinny. As far as Musky i think it is to early in the season.

If August is too early in the season for Musky...we're out of luck for the June OFC G2G then.. LOL

Here's a better shot of where l2fh2w is talking about. Keep in mind the navigation channel is pretty narrow there and that you can't block one with a boat...or tie up to a marker bouy.

warm5.jpg