Sudbury Ice Fishing Suggestions

Fishnwire

I've been living and fishing in Sudbury my whole life but I have to admit...my knowledge of decent ice fishing locations is very limited. I usually fish on the French near Alban because my buddy's family owns a marina there. I love going there but it's too far for less than at least a full day. I want to try some spots closer to home.

-

I'll fish for any species. I've got sonar and I have a snowmachine, but prefer to leave it on the trailer. Walking distance is better.

-

I'd really appreciate getting some suggestions. General ones are good, but I'm hoping a few knowledgable members take the time to PM me with the low-down on some specific places that would be worth my while. I fish alone or with my Dad and I know how to keep my mouth shut.

-

If I get some info that pays off I'm prepared to recipricate with the exact location on the lower French where any given evening you have a realistic chance of getting a ten pound plus walleye.

-

Thanks in advance.

I find it so Odd that a lot of my friends that live in Sudbury go out of town for fishing trips? not saying you but all my friends do all the time 330 lk's under 10 hectors in sudbury region.

contact Claudio Rocca @ 705 929 fish or google his web site

He has huts on Penage lk 50 a day and up, also he is very experienced in the area(Ramsey,Vermillion lk,nip,Wahnapitae lk etc..) , spending a day with him and his knowledge is worth every penny.

:Gonefishing::canadian:

i have a hut on vermillion as an everyday/every ohter day/ time waster, (something easy to do, not very good fishing) when i want to catch fish i do penage or windy, for smaller trout any of the small lakes around cartier are a good bet, pickeral are hard to find around here in the winter, so i spend most of my fishing time chasing lakers, specks, rainbows,

if i had a place to store my hut near the lake, by far my lake of choice around here would be penage, hands down

penage, windy, vermillion can easily be driven on with a car, (road plowed) if you have a truck you can drive anywhere on these lakes, as long as we dont get too much snow, the last few years have been great for driving, unfortunately penage and windy take a little longer for safe ice with a vehicle so they arent ready yet,

i'll be on vermillion today to do a little fishing and check ice thickness and will likely be putting my hut on tomorrow

Thanks very much guys.

I have an email out to Claudio. I've heard good things about Penage, paying a guide for a day is something I'd seriously consider.

I might try Windy too, but by the time I drive there, I could probably get to the French.

Anywhere I can drive right out on is a plus. I have a Jeep with lift so as long as the snow doesn't get too deep I won't be limited to the plowed areas of the lake.

Does anyone know if the Moonlight beach area of Ramsey is a decent place to ice fish (as far as Ramsey goes) or is it too shallow?

Thanks very much guys.

I have an email out to Claudio. I've heard good things about Penage, paying a guide for a day is something I'd seriously consider.

I might try Windy too, but by the time I drive there, I could probably get to the French.

Anywhere I can drive right out on is a plus. I have a Jeep with lift so as long as the snow doesn't get too deep I won't be limited to the plowed areas of the lake.

Does anyone know if the Moonlight beach area of Ramsey is a decent place to ice fish (as far as Ramsey goes) or is it too shallow?

My Parents Live on harry cres, sudbury, just off howey dr..I seen folks out there on ramsey at x-mas , I was only in town for 2 days so i didnt get a chance to go out, but as you drive down howey dr you can see them about 50ft off the rock cut to the right of CPR BAY,ramsey.

Wait until the ice is thicker but wahnapitei lake or up kukagami lake road are hot spots also

Edited by BUSTER