boat gas tank question

fishboy

Hi All: I was offered a basically unused 6 gallon metal gas can for my outboard. The only problem is that there's gas in it that's at least 1 year old. The good news is that it's full (which I understand to be better than partially empty); I'm looking for suggestions so as not to end up running gunk into my motor. I was planning on draining it and rinsing with stabilizer. Any advice would be great.

If the fuel was stabilized it shouldn't be a problem. However, I'd drain the tank and the fuel line (if it came with one) just to be safe. If it's going to sit for the winter, just leave the tank empty and fill it up in the spring. You should be able to remove all the gas I would think so the stabilizer rinse might not be necessary. If any is left a splash of stabilizer in the tank won't hurt.

If the fuel was stabilized it shouldn't be a problem. However, I'd drain the tank and the fuel line (if it came with one) just to be safe. If it's going to sit for the winter, just leave the tank empty and fill it up in the spring. You should be able to remove all the gas I would think so the stabilizer rinse might not be necessary. If any is left a splash of stabilizer in the tank won't hurt.

Hey how ya been? It's been a while since the Cameron trip! Hope you have a great holidays...are you planning any ice fishing?