Floater Jigs

splashhopper

So I am up fishing for rainbows this weekend and want to do some still fishing with worms and roe. And damned if I didn't lose my worm blower. I am sitting in a restaurant in a small town with no tackle shop for miles that will be open. So, I was going throug a pastic bag of stuff I bought at the outdoors show in Walkerton last spring. I found some small floater jigs. I am going to try them on a 2-3 flourocarbon leader with some slinky weights to try bottom bouncing first. Then, when my legs need a rest, I will add some weight and still fish this set up. Has anyone used these jigs before? If so, any suggestions as to working them is appreciated. Thanks. Splashhopper

i haven't fished for rainbows but up here the guys use floating jigs for the walleyes.

there is an area that i tried fishing years ago where i couldn't buy a fish, then i tied on a floating jig with a 2 foot leader behind a trolling weight and started nailing them, both minnows and leeches work well on these rigs, never tried it with a worm

We're on the same page, Grt1. Had two Buds in the boat about 20 years ago...couldn't buy a pickerel. I rigged up a floater and was picking one up every 5-10 minutes....they thought it was a fluke. After 6-7 fish they both asked me for a floater. I still always keep a pack in my kit.

As an aside, you could have just gone to a pharmacy and bought a syringe. That's what I use. Although, I always think about sticking myself and injecting worm guts into my finger.....blech. Probably should just clip the sharp point off, it would still be fine for worms.

I have only used floating jigs for walleye. Not very often though.