winter snow suit

Swan_Dive

So this while be my first year back in Canada for a full winter and Iam looking forward to getting some ice fishing in. The only problem Iam having right now is I just don't have the right outter clothing for it. I want to get a pair of snow pants and a jacket that can handle some cold temps but unfortunately right now the funds are low so Iam trying to get the best bang for my buck. I have looked at Canadian tire and they have a Floatation suit but how well would that do with the cold weather? I don't know if I want to go with a floatation suit but at the same time it would be nice for safety. Do you guys have any recommendations on where I can start looking that will give me the best bang for my buck? Floatation vs non floatation suit for the cold weather? Thanks for the help

Swany

Lots of options...some guys use the Clam Corp Ice Suits - http://clamcorp.com/IceArmorClothing/Outerwear/ExtremeGrayBlackSuit/tabid/336/Default.aspx Floater suits are popular for sure, and safer. But both of these options are going to take you into the several hundreds of dollars range.

If funds are really low, you'll save money by going with standard winter clothing...a 2nd hand store often has warm coats for cheap and you don't need to worry about getting fish slime on it.

Military surplus can offer a very high level of quality at a very minimal price.

I have lots of Canadian force winter gear that I have from my time in the military and also from various surplus and quartermaster sales. The gortex and down used is very good quality and I usually stay warm. :canadian:

You'll find that most of the guys here are wearing a floatation suit of some kind. Then it comes down to 1 piece vs 2 piece and which brand. I've personally gone with a 2 piece over the years, 15+ years now. No real reason why, I think my first jacket was on sale and it was what I could afford at the time. I personally like that if you have a warm day, you can remove the jacket and move around freely. Some guys will say a 1 piece is warmer then a 2 piece, I couldn't say either way. I've always be warm in my 2 piece.

I guess the main reason for the floatation suit is safety. That ice can do some crazy things and you might as well be protected if you should go through. I've never had it happen to myself but a buddy of mine and his friend did. My buddy was wearing a floatation suit and the other was not. He claims that he was pretty much shot right back out of the water. His buddy, by the time he got right out and turned around, was up to his neck in water and was on the way down. The weight of his clothing and boots were pulling him under. He reach over and grabbed him by the chest and pulled him out. A good thing someone had a floatation suit that day.

What's your life worth? If money is tight then grab a Jacket this year and the bibs next season. Put it on your Christmas :santa: You will not regret it. Check the classifieds here or on other sites like Kijiji for a used one.