Calling all plumbers for help NF

keram

Is it possible that water meter register higher water usage then actual?

O.K. Let me explain.

Today I had a phone call from my water company to check my water meter reading, because my usage was somewhat higher then normal. I’ve checked it and is really, really HIGHER :w00t: then normal. There is no leak (leak indicator is not moving ). So I did experiment.

I would like to follow my way of reasoning, because I could be wrong. My meter counts cubic meters of water, one full turn of the dial is 100 litres. There is a toilet close to the meter. I’ve flushed toilet 8 times (closing the supply valve each time) to get full turn of the dial (100 litres). Math is pretty simple

100/8=12.5 litres = 3.17 gal :glare:

Now I’ve used jug from windshield washer fluid ( 1 gal or 3.78 l) and I needed only two gallons of water to fill the tank to the same level.

So, my 2 gal of water shows as 3.17 :w00t: gal on the meter. Another thing. I’ve filled the same jug twice ( approx 7.5 litres), my meter registered 10 litres of usage. :w00t:

I know that defective meter shows lower usage ( due to wear & tear) but higher. :dunno:

Please share any ideas

In mean time I will start looking for the in ground pool on my property

I’m sure it is not in a living room.

Edited by keram

Call them on thier equiptment. I often wonder how accurate the gas and hydro meters are too.

I did. Somebody is comming next Thursday, but they told me that my findings are 99.99% impossible. This is a reason why I'm looking for some advice

It will be a very simple test.Make sure that no water is being run in the house.Fill a gallon jug and watch the meter with the water guy standing there.He will know what to do next.If the meter is calibrated correctly,check for leaky toilets.

Joe

Edited by Daplumma

I'm interested to hear the outcome of this, i work for a municipality and the water supervisor is right across the hall from me. I have heard him tell many people the same thing your water dept told you.

From what i know of meters they always read less if worn out, then again there is that 0.01 % i guess. what type of meter is it...brand wise.

my bet is one of your toilets is leaking

keep us informed

edit: For what it's worth in the 6 years working with him and all the meters he has looked at, never has it been the meter, he is a licensed plumber too and always seems to help find the problem.

Edited by IndySKS

Shut your water off in each toilet, one by one and see if that helps. If a toilet is leaking, you should be able to find it that way.

Is it possible that water meter register higher water usage then actual?

O.K. Let me explain.

Today I had a phone call from my water company to check my water meter reading, because my usage was somewhat higher then normal. I’ve checked it and is really, really HIGHER :w00t: then normal. There is no leak (leak indicator is not moving ). So I did experiment.

I would like to follow my way of reasoning, because I could be wrong. My meter counts cubic meters of water, one full turn of the dial is 100 litres. There is a toilet close to the meter. I’ve flushed toilet 8 times (closing the supply valve each time) to get full turn of the dial (100 litres). Math is pretty simple

100/8=12.5 litres = 3.17 gal :glare:

Now I’ve used jug from windshield washer fluid ( 1 gal or 3.78 l) and I needed only two gallons of water to fill the tank to the same level.

So, my 2 gal of water shows as 3.17 :w00t: gal on the meter. Another thing. I’ve filled the same jug twice ( approx 7.5 litres), my meter registered 10 litres of usage. :w00t:

I know that defective meter shows lower usage ( due to wear & tear) but higher. :dunno:

Please share any ideas

In mean time I will start looking for the in ground pool on my property

I’m sure it is not in a living room.