mayan riviera fishing

west lake charlie

I shore fished from our beach hotel with my 3 peice St. Croix Premier travel rod and a daiwa 3500 size reel loaded with 12 pound mono.

caught quite a lot of nice fish (snappers, small baracuda etc), but no monsters. although I talked to another fisherman who was flycasting off the beach and had a big tarpon on for a while.

it can be a lot of fun.

some hotels won't let you fish on hotel beach property so you have to watch.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

What resort are you going to?

I fished at the Bahia Principe trio of resorts. There is a lagoon about a 10 minute walk south. It is not part of the resort property and has no hotel on it. Absolutely gorgeous, not many people venture the walk - over broken coral and scrub, but well worth it.

Caught a few small reef fish - would have liked to get more, but I didn't have the right bait. Need to use either fresh shrimp from the buffet or fresh calamari. The shrimp were great for chum, but didn't stay on the hook long. The calamari stayed on much better - use it.

Saw a ton of fish, lots of small barracuda, hard to hook, pointy, small, hard mouth. Saw a 5 foot shark, puffers, snappers, you name it.

Poster above is correct, no fishing on the beach.

I went deep sea fishing with a local charter, picked up at Puerto Adventuras (Turtle Beach). Went out in 8-12 foot rollers - it is windy this time of year. Took graval and was fine. This is not a great time of year for trolling - spring apparently is the time to fish. We got 2 barracuda over a 3 hour trip, not great, but we weren't skunked anyway. Saw a guy walking down the beach with a 60 pound Dorado, one of those would have been nice. Good experience, but would have liked more fish.

There is a website called local (or loco) gringo that has decent info on fishing. I'd definitely go with a local charter, the boats are beat up, but the equipment and captains are top-notch. The big boats are nice and comfortable, but I'd take the atmosphere and experience of a real mexican charter anyday.

Edited by Dutch

i stayed at the riu yucatan late last march....didn't think to pack a travel rod but bumped into some guys who were casting williams spoons from shore and doing well....some resorts don't allow it but if you're up early enough from 6-8am you can get away with it

mahi, baracuda, snappers and sailfish was what buddy told me when i booked a charter....7 days and every morning i managed to drag myself out of bed at 7am, piers by 8 and 5 days in a row cancelled by 10 due to high winds...last day said enough with it and slept in, turns out it was good winds

if you book from the resort you'll be overpaying but for some the convenience factor is worth it...5 US cab will get you anywhere you need to go, i walked around the docks and haggled...got a great deal and refunded my money when the trip didn't work out....i booked my charter in a NICE boat for 60US, if you try and fill the last seat of a charter you have more wiggle room to barter

What resort are you going to?

I fished at the Bahia Principe trio of resorts. There is a lagoon about a 10 minute walk south. It is not part of the resort property and has no hotel on it. Absolutely gorgeous, not many people venture the walk - over broken coral and scrub, but well worth it.

Caught a few small reef fish - would have liked to get more, but I didn't have the right bait. Need to use either fresh shrimp from the buffet or fresh calamari. The shrimp were great for chum, but didn't stay on the hook long. The calamari stayed on much better - use it.

Saw a ton of fish, lots of small barracuda, hard to hook, pointy, small, hard mouth. Saw a 5 foot shark, puffers, snappers, you name it.

Poster above is correct, no fishing on the beach

I went deep sea fishing with a local charter, picked up at Puerto Adventuras (Turtle Beach). Went out in 8-12 foot rollers - it is windy this time of year. Took graval and was fine. This is not a great time of year for trolling - spring apparently is the time to fish. We got 2 barracuda over a 3 hour trip, not great, but we weren't skunked anyway. Saw a guy walking down the beach with a 60 pound Dorado, one of those would have been nice. Good experience, but would have liked more fish.

There is a website called local (or loco) gringo that has decent info on fishing. I'd definitely go with a local charter, the boats are beat up, but the equipment and captains are top-notch. The big boats are nice and comfortable, but I'd take the atmosphere and experience of a real mexican charter anyday.

Thanks for all the advice guys, Im staying at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa.

I will definatly post some pics if I get anything.

our resort has a lagoon running through it. (Man made)

Just south of Playa Del Carmen is a small community called Puerto Adventuras. I went out with Captain Rick and would recommend them. Fishing was ok but it was a really nice operation. If you plan on trolling (for marlin and sailfish) get a small group together and charter the whole boat rather than hopping on a shared boat. This way if fishing is slow at least you'll know the person who gets to real in a fish.

Thats a great point. I had the opposite happen in the Bahammas once.

Only one Barricuda was boated and of course, I was having a piss when it hit.

The best trip I've had down south was in veradero. We trolled sitting on a

catamaran. We caught a few barricuda and a nice king mackeral. It was nice

not having someone set the hook and just hand you the rod.