For The River Bass Guys - How Long Do You Think We Have?

BillsTheBassMan

Well Fellas,

It's almost that time of year again and we're looking like we may get that early autumn after all. I've still been pounding the rivers religiously and the fish have been on the feedbag for close to a month now. Even the 12" fish I'm catching are FAT FAT FAT and they are noticeably cold to the touch.

I'll let the topic title speak for itself and pose the question: How many weeks of quality river bassing do you figure we have left? I'm thinking 3 weeks max with dwindling (rapidly) results after that.

Guest Manitoubass

It's slowed down already for me. Still quality fish out there, but I can no longer catch 50-60 a day.

Pst few days I've went out for a few hours, and each time caught only 3-4, but there all over 3-4 lbs

I find that once the water starts to cool, the fish will school-up more and become more nomadic. If you can find a group, you may get 2-3 good fish out of it before they move on. Looking for spots with slightly warmer water (southern exposures, rocks, darker structure) pays off as the water gets colder.

Wow I was about to ask the same question, more specifically, for wading and fishing holes 2-6ft, when to pack it in for bass/walleye?

Here's what happened last year, summer was wet and cool, fishing was ok (Grand) for bass, in fact better than this year for me, first two weeks of sept were hot (after a poor summer) and bite was on or off, nothing special, last two weeks of Sept it got cool and the bite went nutz, I picked up a PB 19.5" smallie and found (as someone mentioned) they seemed to school up, if you got one you would get 4-5 like walleye. The other good thing is, it seems walleye will venture in to shallower waters when it gets cooler (when you wouldn't seem them in shallow hot water in July). Now, after Sept. I went out in Oct same spots and bam, the bass were gone, seemingly for deeper warmer waters for the winter, it was dead, and people were fishing specific spots trying to get salmon running up the grand.

So I'm trying to time it, fall fishing is supposed to be the best, but for me it is hit and miss, when it is a hit is big fish and long fights.

Wow I was about to ask the same question, more specifically, for wading and fishing holes 2-6ft, when to pack it in for bass/walleye?

Here's what happened last year, summer was wet and cool, fishing was ok (Grand) for bass, in fact better than this year for me, first two weeks of sept were hot (after a poor summer) and bite was on or off, nothing special, last two weeks of Sept it got cool and the bite went nutz, I picked up a PB 19.5" smallie and found (as someone mentioned) they seemed to school up, if you got one you would get 4-5 like walleye. The other good thing is, it seems walleye will venture in to shallower waters when it gets cooler (when you wouldn't seem them in shallow hot water in July). Now, after Sept. I went out in Oct same spots and bam, the bass were gone, seemingly for deeper warmer waters for the winter, it was dead, and people were fishing specific spots trying to get salmon running up the grand.

So I'm trying to time it, fall fishing is supposed to be the best, but for me it is hit and miss, when it is a hit is big fish and long fights.

This year is a little odd because it went straight from 30 degree weather to . . . Labour Day. Since Labour Day the weather has been real cold at night and a little tempermental. It's like we skipped the generally prime September timeframe, but I'm not giving up on it yet.

I got a 19.5" Smallie last night that is easily one of the most disproportiante fish I have ever caught (heavy on the feedbag - report coming soon). Timmeh caught a big 18" today and had to release another one before measurement that would have been pushing 20" easily. Numbers are down a little, but that's ok if the big fellas are coming out to play.