Quick Salmon Report

ctranter

Finally got out for my first day of salmon fishing of 2010 and boy was it a blast. Met up with a fellow OFNer and real stand up dude in the morning and were hooked into our first fish minutes after arriving at the river. First drift... fish on! A small rainbow hammered my fly and darted around the pool, only to end up twisted in and around some tricky log stuff. We didn't have to wait long for another hook set as each of us have chinnys on after heading to a new pool. The chinook on my line cleared the water by (no joke) easily 5 or 6 feet. The other fisherman at the pool was amazed, it jumped right in from of him at eye level. Still, both fish managed to spit the hook and we were now bummed.

A new destination was in order, so we packed up the gear. After a short drive we were at the new location, which didn't disappoint.

Cheers to my first salmon of 2010! Since this spot is dynamite for rainbows and browns too, I took the opportunity to hide the location with a patriotic salute!

salmon10b.jpg

The fishing was excellent and it wasn't long before the second chinny was on the bank

chrisofn2jpg.jpg

Both fish were released without harm and swam away looking healthier than ever.

Here's the funny story for the day, which I'm sure my friend will never let me forget: My partners equipment was significantly better than mine (to say the least), but he lent me his rod to try my luck and feel what high quality feels like with a fish on. Well sure enough a good sized salmon hammers the fly and starts tearing down stream. I'm chasing it as quickly as I can, but it is really powering away fast. I palm the reel, and try to keep it away from some quick rapids. The next thing I know, the reel slips off of the rod and I am holding each in separate hands. My first reaction is "Oh Damn I just broke an insanely expensive reel...", and I look up at my buddy who is following me downstream like I just totaled his Ferrari into a brick wall. Needless to say the rod was reassembled and the fish was landed!

To cap it off here is a nice little brown:

img4002a.jpg

All in all, it was a fantastic day, and my arms are sore and fatigued from fighting fish.

Some of you may recall a thread I started a few weeks ago about catching salmon legitimately in rivers. I can say without doubt, that they don't just bite, they HAMMER baits. Big thanks to Dave for an awesome day.

Hey Chris

Thanks for the day, it was fun. I will always remember your face when that reel feel off. Like a deer just about to be hit by a truck too funny, atleast we didnt loose that fish..

I will call later on about tomorrow.

Thanks again

Dave