Anyone else in the Sault experiencing a lack-luster Chinook season???

archie_james_c

Well is anyone??? I've been out of the Chinny game for about 6-7 years and this is my first year back. Just got my Scotty Electrics, stereo, and part of my floor rigged into my boat and I've been hitting the Garden for the last 2 weeks every morning (5am-8am) for the most part.

Has this rain and cold front pushed the salmon into an early spawn?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Our lake huron pacific salmon run is nowhere near what it was back in the 90's.

The fish (chinooks and pinks) are seemingly smaller, both in size and numbers.

From what anders indicates they are having a good run in lake superior this year.

That said, I had the best morning of pink salmon fishing that i've had since i was kid today. I caught 13 pinks in 2 hours this morning. My "creamsicle" cleo was working like it was 1991!

Hope your luck at the garden turns around.

The Pinks seem to be in in full force in the "rapids". We were getting all sorts of action on chartreuse/silver cleo's on regular spinning gear. But you're right there just doesn't seem to be anymore "big dogs" to be caught....mainly in part of guys harvesting them like corn in the 90's (myself and my dad included)...it's amazing the things you learn about (C&R) when you start to grow up.

Hopefully we can get it turned around and start seeing the big guys coming back. I miss trolling the Edison and hammering 3-6 17-20 pounders per morning :lol:

• 2 weeks later...