Star Lake near Parry Sound

jediangler

My in-laws just bought a place on Star Lake up near Parry Sound. Does anyone know anything about this lake like what kind of fish, if any, are in it. I hope there is something in there because I plan on taking my kayak with me when we go to visit and spending all my waking hours on the water.

grew up cottaging there for 20 years. Fished every corner of it. Small lake, good pike, good smallies, supposely good lakers. Caught many 4lb smallies, a multiple 8-12 lb pike (biggest was 18lbs 38"). never fished for lakers but suppose to be good.

there is a small river loaded with cottages. pretty weedy, but produces many pike, especially at the mouth were the weed bed starts.

portage the rapids to mutton lake and you will have luck with northerns there.

They are on the east shore of the lake, facing northwest. It's going to be their year round residence. It's more of a house than a cottage. They paid $500,000.00 for it.

Thanks for the info everyone.

They don't take possesion until late October so my first chance to fish it might be next spring. I've never caught a laker, now I'm stoked to try for one.

Edited by jediangler

I fished it leisurely many years ago, there is some decent smallies in there. If I remember correctly, there is not a lot of weed, there is some lily pads, the smallies relate to these as well as points, humps, and rocks. It was a nice quiet lake, but that was like 20 years ago, yikes, i am getting old !! :mellow:

Star is very similar. Seems there are more pike than smallies on both lakes. That said, there are some nice gators to be had. For sure in the spring, I would focus on dead baiting. It has been very productive for us. Forego your heavy leaders and stick with green braided power pro.

Regards,
Symon

Edited by pikeslayer

Thanks guys. I'm not into ice-fishing so I think I'll wait until spring to chase the lakers and big toothy critters. The bass can wait till next summer. What about panfish populations? Are there sunfish, perch, rockbass, bluegills or crappie in the lake. Do you think the lakers and pike survive mostly on the smelts or are there herring or suckers or some other forage I haven't mentioned?