penetangushine bay, Tiny and The Gap Help

Raycaster

This is a kinda after the fact question but thought I'd ask if I'm ever in the area again.

Just spent a week in Penetangushine Bay in the town of Tiny. It was really a "non-fishing" week but the rental included a row boat with oars. I also just picked up a portable fishfinder Humminbird 160 (all the wallet would allow) so I thought I'd sneak out a few times to play with it. Our rental cottage faced probably 200 yards of sandbar with 3 feet of water! Then within 10 feet there is a 30 ft drop off till 90 in the middle. On very calm days I rowed out across the channel ( desperate fisher but not too smart) and tried some fishing.

Problems: No idea whats down there, and when fish are marking after the drop at 28ft how do I get them?

I anchored just at the drop with some vegetation showing and used everything in my tackle box. I mainly used spinners/single prop and even tried jigging with some grub/worm lures.

On the last day I saw some fishing boats anchored just where I was so I suppose the area was ok. Talking with the fishermen I was told that small mouth are known in the area and it looked like they were using small spinners and minnow lures.

I ventured ( I mentioned not too smart ) over the gap between the islands Gin Island and saw a boat trolling and bring up a decent pike but I was not as lucky. I think all the fish were too busy laughing at my boat and oars.

Any suggestions when faced with cliff drop off and best techniques for the area?

Could be walleye, but you're in what they call "The Hole"...salmon and lakers this time of year....specially if you travelled all the way to gin...you crossed right over it...good fishing out there...

Can I be total newbie and ask what you would use for the salmon and lakers? I'm a pike/bass guy with zero experience over 30ft of water.