Best lures/techniques for murky water

bigmac1984

Was curious to know what everyone uses for lure selection and technique for LMB and SMB in murky, shallow water (less than 6ft of water).

Where I am going there is the possibility of finding approximately 10ft of water out from shore a bit, but then there is no structure.

I don't know what the weather will be like and I know that would change some technique, but in general, curious what everyone uses.

Thanks

Murky water? Like most of Ohio`s inland lakes? The lures mentioned can work, so can noisy surface lures. I still went with the idea that the fish will be the best judge of what will work.

They can find a lure like a plastic work or lizard in murky water, a jig and pig bouncing along the bottom. I had no issues using lures like that in murky water, day or night.

I usually had 5-6 rods rigged with a mix of lures, just ones that had worked in the past and allowed me to fish the water column from top to bottom. Some lures, depending on how you decide to retrieve them can cover a few different depths, burn a spinnerbait or slow roll it, fast retrieve on a crank bait and have it bouncing along the bottom or a slow steady retrieve, stop and go.

Some times a surface lure like a jitterbug was the way to go, some times a devils horse or torpedo with a prop worked much better.

Cant go wrong with spinnerbaits in your situation. Use a double colorado blade setup in bright colors such as chartreuse, chart/white, etc. Also topwater lures will work well in the morning/evenings as well as on calm days. Jitterbugs, poppers, buzzbaits create a lot of surface disturbance that can attract bass in the murkiest of waters.