Help this river system!!!!

buckysteel

Fellow anglers,

as you may, or may not be aware, cold water systems in lake erie that support salmonid spawning habitat are few and far between. the lynn river watershed located in norfolk county is one of those streams. this year, a dam was temporarily dropped due to the structural instability, as a result, hundreds of steelies migrated further upstream to the much more suitable spawning grounds and likely were successful! the county has proposed 3 options for the current structure, repair, rebuild, or remove. the structure was for an old yarn mill and was constructed roughly 150 years ago, the yarn mill ceased to exist shortly after the dams construction. a local rowing club calls this man made lake its home and are fighting tooth and nail for it to be rebuilt. a fish ladder is out of the equation as this would really leave the situation where it sits today. the dam has impaired the local watershed from several different angles, most importantly water quality. if any of you are familiar with port dalhousie, it would appear similar to the smaller dam.

in the short time the dam was dropped (roughly 6 months) the changes that occurred to the local watershed were absolutely remarkable.

i urge you to voice your opinion and please vote in favor of removing this useless habitat barrier. this would have a huge impact on the eastern lake erie basin. i am sure several you are in the same field i am in, natural resources, and we need your knowledge and support.

here is the link - http://cd989.com/modules/xoopspoll/pollresults.php?com_mode=flat&com_order=1&poll_id=181

i am writing this in hopes that you will voice your opinion and vote on this local pole...

thank you kindly, not trying to solicit this is just something i care deeply about!

Edited by Buck Steelhead

Fellow anglers,

as you may, or may not be aware, cold water systems in lake erie that support salmonid spawning habitat are few and far between. the lynn river watershed located in norfolk county is one of those streams. this year, a dam was temporarily dropped due to the structural instability, as a result, hundreds of steelies migrated further upstream to the much more suitable spawning grounds and likely were successful! the county has proposed 3 options for the current structure, repair, rebuild, or remove. the structure was for an old yarn mill and was constructed roughly 150 years ago, the yarn mill ceased to exist shortly after the dams construction. a local rowing club calls this man made lake its home and are fighting tooth and nail for it to be rebuilt. a fish ladder is out of the equation as this would really leave the situation where it sits today. the dam has impaired the local watershed from several different angles, most importantly water quality. if any of you are familiar with port dalhousie, it would appear similar to the smaller dam.

in the short time the dam was dropped (roughly 6 months) the changes that occurred to the local watershed were absolutely remarkable.

i urge you to voice your opinion and please vote in favor of removing this useless habitat barrier. this would have a huge impact on the eastern lake erie basin. i am sure several you are in the same field i am in, natural resources, and we need your knowledge and support.

here is the link - http://cd989.com/modules/xoopspoll/pollresults.php?com_mode=flat&com_order=1&poll_id=181

i am writing this in hopes that you will voice your opinion and vote on this local pole...

thank you kindly, not trying to solicit this is just something i care deeply about!

Please