Fishing in Caledonia, ON

shimano25

Hi, first time poster here.

I have a simple question: is it legal to fish off the bridge in Caledonia onto the Grand River (the stony bridge, I think it is called Argyle St.)? Also, has anyone have good success there fishing (aside from the seasonal salmon)?

Hi, first time poster here.

I have a simple question: is it legal to fish off the bridge in Caledonia onto the Grand River (the stony bridge, I think it is called Argyle St.)? Also, has anyone have good success there fishing (aside from the seasonal salmon)?

Hey There,

Welcome to the Boards

This may sound harsh, but it isn't at all.

1) Read the Regulations and get in the habit of reading the regulations. That will tell you it is legal. Telling the CO that some dudes from the internet said it was legit won't get you very far.

2) Fish it for 30-60 minutes for yourself and then you'll know. Some dudes from the internet saying "some bass" (no offense) doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Good Luck and post a sweet report if you get into some lunkers.

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Hey There,

Welcome to the Boards

This may sound harsh, but it isn't at all.

1)  Read the Regulations and get in the habit of reading the regulations.  That will tell you it is legal.  Telling the CO that some dudes from the internet said it was legit won't get you very far.

2)  Fish it for 30-60 minutes for yourself and then you'll know.  Some dudes from the internet saying "some bass" (no offense) doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Good Luck and post a sweet report if you get into some lunkers.

Would you kindly refer me to this regulatory guide. I always thought fishing off a road bridge was legal unless there was a sign that clearly said "No fishing off bridge."

Most bridges are safe, some are not, and some are strictly catch & release areas. You need to read the regs for areas that you intend on fishing.

Here they are:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.html

We are Zone 16, but there is some useful information in the opening sections. At most fishing license retailers (you do have a fishing license right?) you can get the Reg guide for free.