What I've learned so far

tybrad

So its been just over a month since I started my journey to learn to fish the rivers and I must say its been great! Originally my intent was to find out the hot spots right away and go to those. I would go to the tackle shops trying to gleen where to go. Or I'd ask here or try to research online where exactly to go only to find that information is only good if you use it. I didn't go out and try all the spots in between rather try one on hearsay only to get skunked.

What I know now is there is adventure in exploring and maping your own way through the rivers! There is nothing like firsthand experience. Thanks for all the help thus far ofners and tight lines.

Tyler

So its been just over a month since I started my journey to learn to fish the rivers and I must say its been great! Originally my intent was to find out the hot spots right away and go to those. I would go to the tackle shops trying to gleen where to go. Or I'd ask here or try to research online where exactly to go only to find that information is only good if you use it. I didn't go out and try all the spots in between rather try one on hearsay only to get skunked.

What I know now is there is adventure in exploring and maping your own way through the rivers! There is nothing like firsthand experience. Thanks for all the help thus far ofners and tight lines.

Tyler

Yeah, you do have to pound your share of riverbank while learning - that's just part of it. There are certain bodies of water that can make any of us feel new again, and that is the fun of it. Since we''ll be exploring a new stretch tomorrow, that could happen to both of us. Sometimes it is more walking than casting and more casting than fish. Last night was my first skunk in awhile and it's just part of it. I walked a lot more than I cast, exploring a different stretch of river and failing to find good pools. When I did find good pools, nothing!

Bait selection is something else that evolves in time. For a long time I thought live bait was best, and now I'm sure it isn't. That's a big evolution. The bait bucket has been left at home all year this season.

The funniest thing I found is the advice. Not once has and two people said anything remotely similar when it comes to baits or where the fish are. Everyone is using something and their way works best according to them. At that point I just figured I'd go try for myself lol

Everyone is using something and their way works best according to them.

The saying is true, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

More than one way to catch a fish too! And whatever is good for you works (according to you)!

The funniest thing I found is the advice. Not once has and two people said anything remotely similar when it comes to baits or where the fish are. Everyone is using something and their way works best according to them. At that point I just figured I'd go try for myself lol

I send people I don't trust to bad spots or no spot at all. I send people I know & trust to good spots. I'm not the only person who does this.

Generic Example:

White bucket guy comes up to me in a spot that only holds carp asking if there are bass or pike in there - answer? TONS.

As for the bait thing - there are baits that attract fish in different moods - if you figure out their mood, you figure out what bait they want. It's that simple.