Fished Port Credit Today

Guest Rapala Boy

Guest Rapala Boy

Hi, I fished Port Credit Today from an Ocean Kayak Trident 15 and it was my first experience on the big water and happy that it wasn't my last! Some guy looked at me like I was crazy before I headed out! Anywayz....

There were big waves coming from the south and the water was murky at the piers, but that wasn't going to stop me. Unfortunately I forgot the other lures and was left with the two Storm HotnTots I pre-rigged. I started out by going out before I started fishing because to my surprise the water near the piers was only 8 feet deep (next time i'll bring jointed Rapalas). When I got to 25 I started doing my thing (trolling) near the "ridgetown" area thats at the big ship and got my line in someones motor. There goes lure #1. Next I headed out to the other side where the fishermen were, but it was very uncomfortable with the waves and the water wasn't clear there at all. So I headed for the main attraction (river):

When I got in there there were people fishing from shore and I was trolling with 30 feet of line, but I was skeptical there were any fish until I got past the railway and my rod bent like crazy! and the drag was screaming! Just before I put my hands on the rod my line snapped! It was brand new too, but a very sucky line (Trilene Sensationistrofl2.gif) damn I should have kept the trilene big game! My 10 lb test line was more like 1 lb test (I dont recommend that line for anyone).

Ill be ready next time. But for now, can anyone recommend a good line....

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report but be careful out there and wear your life jacket! If guys are looking at you like your crazy,that's a bad sign already. Do not fish beyond your limits.

The nice thing about fishing Port Credit out of a paddle boat is that you can head upriver and fish when it's too rough or busy to go out in the main lake, ofcourse you should make that call BEFORE you out and find it's too rough :D

The whole mouth of the river is just a big sand shoal, any wind from the South and the waves just start piling up at the mouth making it very uncomfortable. Be careful, there's been lot's of bigger boats that have been surprised and swamped there, it's kinda dangerous.

I've found salmon won't hold right by the mouth so if they've not moving in fishing during the day isn't the greatest, but they'll hold in the deeper holes above Lakeshore Rd. The best part is they can only really be fished out of a canoe (or kayak), bigger boats moving upriver just spook them. Hot'N'Tots will work (heh somebody has been hanging out on the Michigan site eh? :D ) but so will any wobbling plugs like a Taildancer (my fav) or at night glo spoons & rattling baits like a Cordell Spot.

Careful, salmon out of a canoe (or kayak) can turn into a serious addiction that leads to pulled shoulders, all night fishing binges and strange looks at the boat ramp as you're going out and everybody else in "real" boats are coming in :D