French River - Sand Beach Lodge

chrispyke

Took the family to Sand Beach Lodge on the French River the last week of July. If you haven't been before the accomadations and food are excellent, some of the best on the whole river system IMO. The meals are first rate with 4 course sit down dinners, something you might see at a 4 to 5 star hotel. Chef Ryan, who is an excellent fisherman does a great job. They really do well to accomodate your needs.

The fishing wasn't as good as it has been. Although we did well on the smallies with over 150+ up to 3 lbs caught and released. Thanks to OFC members :worthy: we were able to get on a few walleye but they were harder to come by with only 10 from 12" -22", all in the slot released. The walleye were in 15 - 25 ft of water caught in the middle of the day in front of cross island ! We managed only 8 pike to 6lbs that were also in the slot in the weedbeds off the main channel, Deer Bay and Horseshoe Bay. All the smallies/walleys were caught on single hooks with live worms...we went through a whole flat almost in the 5 days we fished.

A few days before we arrived, Ryan hooked into 5 walleye in the weedline directly in front of sandbeach with a 1/2 oz jig head and worm, so they are around.

We also fished at night with not much to show for it. Daytime live bait presentations did not work well for us at night. We spent 2 consectutive nights fishing 9 - 2am with very little to show for it.

I did catch a nice channel cat around 8lbs around midnight....do they ever fight hard :) ...hoped it was a trophy walleye...no such luck.

IMG_4520.JPG

Here is Ryan holding the Channel Cat I hooked into.

In search of walleye we ventured all the way up and through the crooked rapids. We went the first time with the guide who got us through without incident. When I went myself not so lucky. I went in with some speed and had my motor trimmed right up, but we had myself, wife and son in the middle or back of the boat. So with the rapids pushing the bow up and weight in the stern the prop basically sat in the rocks churning :o . Once, I repositioned everyone, we through much easier, lesson learned !!

IMG_4530.JPG

Here is what the crooked rapids did to my prop. :w00t: I didn't realize until I pulled my boat out.

All in all it was a great time ! SBL is going to make some changes to accomodate fisherman. There 2 hour sit down meal for dinner, in prime fishing time, is too long and they know that. They may go to flex breakfast and dinner times to accomodate people who come mostly to fish.

BL

:Gonefishing:

Overall you did pretty good fishing wise......enough to keep you busy..

I agree that Sand Beach Lodge needs to adjust their meals to accommodate FISHERMEN as that is what they use to cater to. Sitting for 2 hours or more to eat dinner was driving me and my sons crazy...but as you said the food is EXCELLENT.

They need to go back to the way it was set up year ago with the old owners:

Breakfast 7am - 9 am

Box Lunch for the boat

Dinner 5pm - 7pm

And all you had to do was get into the dinning room during those hours and you were guaranteed to be served.

Also they need to have bait readily available for the fishermen...I asked for minnows and they said you have to order them the day before... :dunno:

AND drop their docking prices for those who bring their own boats...two years ago I called them to question their $30 per day docking fee and negotiated it down to $10 per day...that was a sticking point for me and I would not go there if I had to pay that much to dock my own boat....oh, one last thing....they made a big deal out of my gas needs...I have a oil injected outboard and they said they only had a limited supply of gasoline that was NOT mixed with oil... :wallbash:

OVERALL though, the place is TOP NOTCH with their accommodations and meals....I guess I was spoiled by the old owner from YEARS past.

Bob

Yes, I think you will see some changes and watch for them at the upcoming sportsmen shows.

Ryan, the chef, is an avid fisherman and has recently joined OFC. I'm sure some of the suggestions will be getting through to the owner.

BL

That's GOOD NEWS to hear....We have gone there 4 or 5 times dating back to 1984.

Back then they were a 100% fishing camp but with a 4 diamond rating....2 years ago when I went there with my two boys I was wondering if fishing was an after thought there. By the time we left I was pretty convinced they were in transition trying to make it a family retreat with fishing available but not really the focus of the business.

AND if RYAN is listening, PLEASE do everyone a favor and LOWER the docking fees....$30 per day is ridiculous IMHO. I'm SURE many others (fishermen) pass on the Sand Beach Lodge for that alone.

Chef is listening! Thanks again for the night fishing! I fished one of your spots just 2 days after you left and ended up with 43 walleye in about 2.5 hours! I was unbelievable. 27.5" that was easily in the 8 lb range. 2@26". 30 in the slot and 9 under at about14". I went up to cast Muskie in some of the areas you showed me but the walleye bite never stopped. Hope to see you again balsamlaker.

The lodge has recently changed hands in the last 3 years and one of the main reasons I am with him is his forecast of bringing this back to A fishing lodge, so any input is appreciated.

Chef is listening! Thanks again for the night fishing! I fished one of your spots just 2 days after you left and ended up with 43 walleye in about 2.5 hours! I was unbelievable. 27.5" that was easily in the 8 lb range. 2@26". 30 in the slot and 9 under at about14". I went up to cast Muskie in some of the areas you showed me but the walleye bite never stopped. Hope to see you again balsamlaker.

The lodge has recently changed hands in the last 3 years and one of the main reasons I am with him is his forecast of bringing this back to A fishing lodge, so any input is appreciated.

That's awesome !! :D Did you get out there at night again or scoot out after breakfast service ? Don't let Dan fish that spot out if you know what I mean...

Also, be sure to send me any muskie pics of your upcoming fall trip.

Hope to get up to SBL again, tell Brian to logon and read posts about SBL, there are a few posts.

Tightlines

BL