Weight difference

Does anybody know or could tell me the difference between the Shimano Cumara 7'11MH trigger rod and the St Croix Legend Xtreme 7'6MH

I know the Xtreme is set at 4.8oz. As for the Cumara I have no idea. There a little cheaper and am curious about them.

I thought the Cumara line would have a 7'6MH but it doesn't seem so. I'm set on St Croix and I want the best rod in their line up(lightest) however a high end shimano is worth looking at for me. Just looking for some ideas and suggestions about the high end rods.

Mike as per this catalog the Cumara weighs

CUC711M Medium Fast 136 grams = 4.8oz $239.99

CUC711MH Medium Heavy 132 grams 4.6oz $239.99

CUCX711MH Medium Heavy Extra Fast 136 grams 4.8oz $239.99

If you're considering the highest end St. Croix, I would be putting a Loomis stick on your list of choices before a Cumara!

I'm a St. Croix fan first (really love the Legend Tournament Series), but if money was no object I'd go Loomis GLX all the way. I think there is a new series from Loomis as well.

Unfortunately Loomis catalogs don't seem to have weight of the rods :dunno:

Good luck....whatever one you go with at that caliber I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Can Someone Please Explain To Me The Whole Theory About These High End Rods?

I Understand that some are lighter than others and are sensitive than others. As Well As The Who Im And HSX graphite strands or somethings.

Just Like To Know A Little More About Them And Who Knows I Might End Up Buying One.... :whistling:

Thanks,

Ted

I am in no way an authority on this rod business but I know what feels good.

I started back into creek fishing about 4 years ago and of course cheaped out on gear because I didn't have a clue about it. I was reasonably satisfied with what I was using until I encountered OFC and the filthy rich beggars who play here. Of course in no time my cheesy gear just wasn't acceptable and my head was filled with all kinds of ways to spend my money and get in trouble with my wife.

In a very short time I went from bargain bin $6 rods and $19.95 combos with all the backbone of a wet spaghetti noodle to mid-priced Quantum Tour Edition rods. I was starting to get the feel of backbone, tip speed and sensitivity but still not completely satisfied with the results. It seemed the higher I went the more disappointed I was. I wasn't getting the results I was told to expect. I'm not talking fish here, just feel, weight, sensitivity, etc. The better rods handled bigger fish better, and I was learning to find the right rod for the bait being tossed. But it wasn't quite right.

Along the way I was lured into the wonderful world of baitcasters and fumbled along there as well. At least I had learned to start well away from the bottom end. But that's a story for another day. Today's is about spinning rods.

I finally took the plunge and picked up a Cumara M Xfast. By this time I'd learned to take the reel with me to try the balance. None of my Quantum reels felt right. Naturally the Stradic CI4 mated up with it perfectly. Dayum!

I was looking for a rod light enuf to carry for hours while wading, long enough to chuck wacky worms across the creek, strong enough to handle stickbaits and crankbaits, and sensitive enough for dropshotting when I got out on a boat.

The Cumara does it all in spades. I can't explain the technical stuff but I can say with no doubt it's wonderfully light, I can sidecast under the trees with just a wrist flick and stll get the length I would get going flat out overhand with cheaper rods, I can feel every pebble I drag over with it, and it handles all the sizes of fish I get beautifully. It's also the lightest combination I believe I have ever picked up and from the reactions of my friends I know they're impressed with the weight too.

It just does everything noticeably better, except save money. If I knew then what I know now I could have probably saved money and had at least two more Cumara/Stradic spinning rigs instead of a collection of noodles and just okay rods. Of course I might not appreciate it if I hadn't experienced the lower end of the spectrum first.

And I'm sure Cumara is not the only solution. GLoomis and St.Croix both sound like worthy candidates for my money as well but I think I'm okay for spinning gear now.

JF