Help with my next lake experience!

adempsey

Well, I was all set to go on a fly-in trip in August (btw, thanks to those who offered suggestions), but turns out my fishing partner would rather spend his money on a trip to Cuba or something (what's up with that??). Anyway, long story short, I have to "downsize" our trip to a more local drive-to lodge. As most of you are aware it is a daunting task trying to find a new place to visit that meets your requirements, especially when it's a drive-to lodge within a half day drive of the GTA. I tend to focus more on the lake than the particular lodges, so I thought I toss up my "short" list and see if anyone had any experience or suggestions.

I was trying to find a lake with SMB, perch and walleye within an ~8 hour drive of Toronto. Anything else is a bonus. I have not fished on any of these lakes either.

Lake Temagami

Lake Nipissing

Lake Nosbonsing

Lake Tomiko/Chebogan

Lake Talon

Lake Restoule/Stormy/Clear

Lake Muskosung

Lake Manitouwabing

Trout Lake (near Noelville)

Troutbait Lake (N of North Bay)

Mattagami

As you can see, I typically avoid the larger lakes, but I always figured I'd try them out someday. Right now I am leaning toward Restoule or Nipissing, but that's mostly because I was having difficulty finding information on the other lakes.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any information or suggestions. Too bad my fly-in will have to wait until next year =(.

Cheers!

Edited by adempsey

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes, I fish Rice Lake quite often - probably more than most lakes with the exception of Simcoe in the winter. I was purposely looking for somewhere outside of the Kawartha's since I do a lot of day and weekend trips there. I will be heading to Rice toward the end of August as well :) Although, I typically find Pigeon lake to be more productive for me.

I'd often thought about Quinte and I think I will most likely hire a charter sometime in the fall.

I also started looking at some lakes in Eastern Ontario, like Negeek, Kamaniskag, Bark, Black Donald, Wolfe, Norcan....the list goes on. At this point I think I will just throw a dart or something....

The lakes you indicated in my area Nip. Nosbonsing, Talon, Restoule area Temag. etc. are all nice. Temag is absolutelty beautiful! These lakes can be difficult to fish for a newbie to the area. Where ever you choose ask the lodge owner for a few different spots to try and also ask on this site once you choose. My suggestion to you for this area is South Shore or Callander Bay of Lake Nipissing. The lake is big but these areas are smaller to explore and the lodge owners will most likely point you in the right direction and help out with depths. How big isw your boat. That may impact your decision making. PM me if you want specific info. on a lake in this area.

The lakes you indicated in my area Nip. Nosbonsing, Talon, Restoule area Temag. etc. are all nice. Temag is absolutelty beautiful! These lakes can be difficult to fish for a newbie to the area. Where ever you choose ask the lodge owner for a few different spots to try and also ask on this site once you choose. My suggestion to you for this area is South Shore or Callander Bay of Lake Nipissing. The lake is big but these areas are smaller to explore and the lodge owners will most likely point you in the right direction and help out with depths. How big isw your boat. That may impact your decision making. PM me if you want specific info. on a lake in this area.

My boat is as big as the cottage resort provides me :) So, most likely a 14' with a 9.9/15. I was hoping to hit the Callander Bay area earlier this year for some ice fishing but we decided on Boshkung instead. I will probably try again next hard water season. I like the idea of going to Nipissing simply due to how large it is and the variety of fish; and I assume the low water levels plaguing Ontario would have less of an impact here than on the smaller lakes (although, I haven't heard the fishing was bad anywhere due to this). What is the main difference between the west and south ends? More shallow weed beds in the west for pike? I like the idea of being near the French River too.

I have avoided Temagami in the past as I often read it's hard to fish or hasn't been productive. I don't know much about it except that it's often described as a trout lake. I have driven past it on the way to Lady Evelyn Lake a couple of times and really enjoyed it there (I'd go back, but it's too expensive for this trip).

Cheers!

Within a day and a half drive, I'd go to Lake of The Woods. It's a 20hr drive from the GTA and there is only one word to describe the fishing there, AWESOME!!! You can fish for pike, walleye, smallies, largies and muskie. Take your pick.

I'd recommend Smith's Camps near Kenora (20-25mins) or Witch Bay Camp. I know the food is great at Smith's and the beer cold.

Within a day and a half drive, I'd go to Lake of The Woods. It's a 20hr drive from the GTA and there is only one word to describe the fishing there, AWESOME!!! You can fish for pike, walleye, smallies, largies and muskie. Take your pick.

I'd recommend Smith's Camps near Kenora (20-25mins) or Witch Bay Camp. I know the food is great at Smith's and the beer cold.

LoTW!! Now there's a vacation. There are many famous lakes out that way I will get to some day. I was hoping some of my buddies would join us for part of my trip, unfortunately I don't think that would be possible if I went that far. I'll still check out those camps though for future reference.

Thanks!!

Also, thanks for the suggestions via PM.

Cheers,

adam