Gals 'n' Pals Haliburton 2010 initial results

Dave Bailey

First of all, my apologies to all who participated if I seemed a little rushed and ‘off my game’ today. We had received word on Friday night that my mother was not well, and the next morning we learned that she had been rushed to hospital with a serious heart problem. Fortunately she is doing well now, but it was in the forefront of my mind all day.

Now, on to the results! Despite some very high winds and various mutterings about the early summer possibly changing fishing patterns, this was the first year in quite a while in which not one entrant was skunked. So much for the mutterings. 5th place went to Jenn and Barry McCrackin with a total weight of 10.45lbs, nipped closely by Linda and Steve Hatton with 10.50. 3rd was taken by Judy and Terry Ruttle with 10.65, not their highest but they usually wind up on our imaginary podium. 2nd place, with a total of 10.70 was taken in an interesting way by Jackie and John Sedgwick, more about that later. 1st place overall went to Giselle Hatton (mother Linda has obviously taught her well) and partner Scott Stickle with a runaway weight of 16.85lbs, more than 50% greater than 2nd place! Congratulations to both of you, now dad Steve is probably wondering whether to beam with pride or keep her away next time, gotta control the competition somehow!

Back to the Sedgwicks. They were able to reach 2nd place thanks to one fish, a 5.30lb line stretcher that comprised almost half their total weigh-in, and was by far the biggest fish of the day and took cash for that category.

There were some disturbing developments. Jackie Sedgwick admitted that John caught the big fish, another entrant admitted to bringing back an expired one and took the .25lb penalty, and yet another said he had an expired one in the basket, which surprisingly breathed and jumped when I looked in. Really people, with this overbearing display of honesty you’re bringing down the reputation of fisherpersons as inveterate but lovable fibbers. Can you look yourselves in the mirror tomorrow?

We also had a rather vicious attack on one participant when Mike Small was hooked in the left hand by a feisty smallmouth, the attacker was last seen swimming off in the direction of Lake Kashagawigamog. Call Crimestoppers if you have any information. Mike was treated and released at the local infirmary, but please don't give him a Boy Scout handshake for a while.

I will attempt to write up the complete results ASAP, but for now I am going to bed and having a thought or two for my mum. Goodnight.

Edited by Dave Bailey

Guest Johnny Bass

I think that is a great idea. Guys and gals tournament! Glad to hear it was a success. And hope your mother is feeling better.