Rice lake smallmouth on the Fly

FlyGuy5

Went out yesterday morning on Rice Lake. I got on the water by 5:30am and was hoping to get a few fish on my fly rod as well I was gonna do some dropshotting and casts a few cranks. I headed to the North shore and started throwning cranks in hope for some bass and walleye it was maybe 20 minutes before I boated my first walleye of the day. Then after that I grabed my fly rod and start to work a top water mouse patteren. I worked along the shore line for about 10 minutes and laid down a long cast which put my mouse right in front of a dock then stripped it in once making it pop in the water and bamm a smallmouth inhales it and the fight is on. It was by far the best fight I've had this year with a bass. I tell ya you haven't fought a bass till you do it on a fly rod! After that I headed to the South shore to throw cranks in the chop and I was able to get a few more walleye one largemouth and a few bluegills... Here are some pic's enjoy

July 15th 2010 on Rice 001.jpg7.jpg

July 15th 2010 on Rice 002.jpg

July 15th 2010 on Rice 003.jpg

Awesome report Flyguy! Thanks for sharing and thanks for all the pics!

I recently caught my first SMB on my first fly rod as well and despite the fact he was just a little pond bass, he put up an amazing battle. I can't wait to hook into a 2-3lb river SMB, fighting him and the current, should be fun.

Do you use traditional bass bugs when you're flying for SMB? How often do you nymph or use dries?

I have some mice as well and they do seem to get a lot of interest from both big browns and SMB.

Cheers,

Ryan

I mostly use poppers as well with crayfish patterns and minnow pattrens I don't use nymphs or dries but I should cause I know they would work as well with wolley buggers bass love leaches as well with walleye. here are some pics of flies I use.. The mouse pattren is tied on 2 hooks but the first hook is cut and braided line is attached to both hooks so now it swivels sorta walk the dog action.

flies 008.jpg

flies 001.jpg

Crayfish 020.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Great post. That is a great assortment of flies. Flyfishing is a highly effective technique. Very suttle, very natural looking. Enjoy the feed. I have pickerel in my freezer and can't even fillet them, because of my injured thumb! :blush: Thanks for sharing.