Massassauga Provincial Park Area Fishing Report

g_clot

Went to visit the lady's family near Massassauga Provincial Park this past week. The boat's motor was having trouble and there was tons of family and kids meaning time spent on the water wasn't as ample as I would have preferred.

The first morning we fished only 3 hrs on a 12ft tinny with nothing but a trolling motor and managed 3 pike in the 25-28" region. The first pike pulled a hit and run on the Koppers LIVETARGET smelt. I did a follow-up cast and boated him. The same fish hit again 4 casts later. I requested an early return to shore since the previous night's drink was working overtime on me.

The next morning we rented a 16 footer and had 4 of us in it. All fishing bass baits and none to show for it. 3 pike around 26" were boated on spinnerbaits and a little perch too over a 5 hr period. All fish caught in 8-10ft of water near shore.

I'll add some pics as soon as they get sent to me.

No broken rods or lost lures on this trip, BONUS!

2 weekends from now will be my inaugural trip to Rice Lake and will rent a boat from one of the many recommended places from you gents. Can't wait.

Happy fishin'

Rigged

We didn't catch a thing. It was more of a scenic drive and excuse to drink beer than anything. We fished jigs on spinners and some flies provided by a rookie fly-fisher, so we didn't match any hatch. There were some more experience guys on the water who said it's been real tough times as it's very over-fished, being one of the few major bodies of water so close to Calgary. If you have a down-day try the 3+ hour tube ride down the bow into the city, that was wicked.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help on this, it was one of my first times out in years and I didn't gain any lasting knowledge on how to fish it. Let me know how you do and what works for my next trip out there though.

Cheers