New Fly Fishing Setup

torco

Hey,

I am hoping to get some solid advice before going out to purchase my next fly fishing outfit. Right now I have a 5 weight which is great for alot of situations especially fishing trout on rivers such as the grand.

But once summer hits I feel a little stuck as I want to start fishing for bass on the fly and then hopefully move into fishing steelhead come fall. Obviously the 5 wt is not made for casting larger flies associated with above species.

So my question isd o I need 2 separate outfits to fish bass and steelhead or can I get 1 that will do both.

Also any suggestions on outfits that would work for a guy on a budget?

Thanks,

mark

Hey Mark,

Don't get too caught up on the "necessity" to buy 30 different rods for every specific situation. I know lots of old timers, great fishing authors, and fly-fishers in general that have no qualms about Steelheading with a 6 weight.

You can surely find a rod that suits both Bass and Steelheading well enough. I'd GUESS a 7 weight will suit you just fine, particularly with the decreased amount you actually manage to get out with your new schedule.

As far as rod setups go I will leave that to the more experienced guys.

Don't break the bank on a reel. My $40 Metalist is a durable classic and it will balance well with a 7 weight I'm sure.

Mark,

I have a Berkley 7/8 weight that does very well. Not a high end pole by any means but when your chucking those bigger fly's for bass and stealhead I don't think the fish know the difference what kind of pole your using:D Pretty sure you can get something comparable at you local CT or fishing shop for a reasonable price.

I also have lighter outfits for trout fishing in smaller tribs, 3 and 4 weight combo's.You need the lighter wt line and finer tippits to deliver smaller flies more delicately to the fish without spooking them. Pretty much have to match your pole to the fish and conditions when fly fishing.

I've been using a 7 weight rod for about 7 years now for steelhead in the Ganny to bass out on Rice lake it is your all around fly rod even good enough for pike and muskie. A good buddy of mine had used a 5wt for steelhead for years but due to spending a lot of time fighting the fish he went to a 7wt and he said it was a huge differents. Over all a good 7wt is all you will need and make sure if you get a new reel to hook up with a large arbor reel so your able to pick up more line when the fish run in at you and try to get a 2nd spool so your able to change from floating line to sinking line. The more you get into fly fishing your gonna want more rod's and reels. If I were you I would be going down to http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/ talk to Ken Collins is a great guy and when it comes to fly fishing in Ontario he is your man!

Thanks guys good advice. I was hoping you guys would tell me I only needed the 1.

@Ryan - Your right my time is limited with the little on, so no point investing big dollars in set up I can only use a few times a year (especially for steelhead).

I'll be on the look out for a 7wt and larger arbor reel. I definitely wish my 5wt had a second spool for changing from changing to floating and sinking.

@Flyguy5 I actually had Ken teach me some of the basics to fly fishing, he is a good guy who definitely knows his stuff.