Replacing Tips on St. Croix Rod?

hogsmally

I have a St. Croix Avid that has a tip that has become worn and frays my line. I want to replace this tip. With a rod like the St. Croix, can I just heat the tip and pull it off, or is there anything else I need to know? I have ordered a new tip, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the schematics of a St. Croix Avid. Getting the new rod tip back on will not be a problem.

I know there is a lifetime warranty on the avid, but it requires almost $40 shipping and handling. I can do it on my own much cheaper if I can figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Lumberjack

i'm a custom rod builder .. Simply heat the tip and pull it off.. to replace it shave very thin pieces of hot glue...stuff it in the new tip with a sewing pin then heat and slid back on and make sure it's straight before it hardens . you'll only have a few seconds..if your close to niagara i will do it free and will take under a min...

cliff...

Edited by cplummer

The Lifetime warranty on the Avid rods are for the blank, not guides. Some tackle stores will have the glue and do this service for free, like Burns Fishing in Burlington adn Fishing World in Hamilton. It only takes a minute like Cliff said. You can do it yourself if you are careful. I have done it to one of my rods before, although it wasn't as pretty as Burns work lol.

Aaron

Yeah, the warranty does not apply for the rod guides "normal wear and tear". Also, the St. Croix website claims that warranties cannot be handled at dealers. They say you can only send the rods back to the company with $20 for shipping charges. Then they choose to fix or send you new.

Anyway, thank you for the info. I found a local shop that said he would do it for free. I cannot believe how willing to help the people on this website are. Unbelievable.

Thanks again for the responses

Lumberjack