In Search of Mr. Brown

laszlo

Mission - To find and catch (then release) a decent size Brown Trout

Location - Headwaters

Weapon - Light action spinning gear with small spinners

Enemy - Chub and Misquitoes

MISSION FAILED

But as I made a stealthy approach to this spot...

dsc00804d.jpg

Partial Success

dsc00800i.jpg

dsc00801n.jpg

CHUB EVERYWHERE

RETURNING TO HOME BASE

OVER AND OUT

That’s awesome Laz…That spot looks great

I hate fishing around chubs too (I probably hate fishing around rainbow smolts more though). However some of the bigger brookies and resident browns I’ve caught have come from streams that are infested with chubs, dace and/or shiners – You might catch fewer brookies or browns in a stretch but what you do catch is generally larger on average (relatively speaking). I have better success using spinners and micro spoons in streams with chub than ones that are devoid of them. In the streams without chub, I find the fish key in primarily on bugs or crustaceans a lot more and they are generally pickier on what they want to eat – Especially as the season progresses.

Ugly Duckling makes a tiny chub-impression crankbait that has been good for Browns in my area.

Chubs kind of eliminate any (successful) live bait imitation.

You can either work with the chubs or work against them (and trust me, you don't want to work against them).

Nice little Brownie Laz.

If you want to weed through the Chubs as well as bantam weight Trout, in addition to hardware don't be afraid to use large nymphs or better yet big streamers. Big Trout want big meals and many won't even move for something small (including small spinners). Even in creeks that seem to be devoid of baitfish, big fish cannibalize their smaller brethern so they won't hesitate to smash a streamer.

I was out today for big Browns, fishing 5-6" streamers (ones big enough that most people would think that they were for Bass or Pike :whistling: ). I hooked/raised quite a number of medium sized fish including the one pictured below and just missed one shy of 20".

IMG_1663.jpg

Edited by wallacio

I know that river!

This is my first year hunting resident trout and I've discovered some pretty sweet spots so far. That river, if I'm correct, is decent in terms of size of trout. Caught one about the same size as wallacio. Chubs are evil. I was getting them left and right. They also smashed my indicator. I used woolly buggers size 6 & 10 and bead head pheasant tail nymphs. Also I find fly fishing the shallower rivers gives me somewhat of an edge. It's just my opinion though.

Nice little Brownie Laz.

If you want to weed through the Chubs as well as bantam weight Trout, in addition to hardware don't be afraid to use large nymphs or better yet big streamers. Big Trout want big meals and many won't even move for something small (including small spinners). Even in creeks that seem to be devoid of baitfish, big fish cannibalize their smaller brethern so they won't hesitate to smash a streamer.

I was out today for big Browns, fishing 5-6" streamers (ones big enough that most people would think that they were for Bass or Pike :whistling: ). I hooked/raised quite a number of medium sized fish including the one pictured below and just missed one shy of 20".

IMG_1663.jpg

I think it's about time I stop talking about getting into flyfishing and just do it.

My next attempt will be a river that has more depth and a larger population of Browns.

I couldn't find a hole deeper then 30 inches where I was fishing but I only had 2 hours of exploration.

Edited by laszlo

IMG_1663.jpg

I can't stop looking at those pretty candy apple red spots...Gorgeous fish Dave!

My next attempt will be a river that has more depth and a larger population of Browns.

I couldn't find a hole deeper then 30 inches where I was fishing but I only had 2 hours of exploration.

Actually from what I learned this past weekend, 12 inches (or less) of water will hold surprisingly large fish provided there's a slight undercut or some over hanging wood or shrubs...My friend and I spooked fish in places where we never would've thought they'd be...We probably blew our big chance at getting the 4-5lb fish we were trying for after we almost stepped on it heading upstream :( We saw it cruise around our legs and head downstream to another woody snag.

Fish the wood and donate some tackle to the brown trout gods :D

Edited by MJL

I can't stop looking at those pretty candy apple red spots...Gorgeous fish Dave!

Actually from what I learned this past weekend, 12 inches (or less) of water will hold surprisingly large fish provided there's a slight undercut or some over hanging wood or shrubs...My friend and I spooked fish in places where we never would've thought they'd be...We probably blew our big chance at getting the 4-5lb fish we were trying for after we almost stepped on it heading upstream :( We saw it cruise around our legs and head downstream to another woody snag.

Fish the wood and donate some tackle to the brown trout gods :D

I certainly agree. Not always those 5 lb ones but certainly some pan sized ones to be found in spots like that.