Ice fishing expertise needed!

bassassin

:D Hello all,

I would like to post a quick question for all you ice fishing enthusiests out there. I just purchased a three person portable ice fishing hut. It doesnt come with a floor. There is four corners to it and they will all be fascened to the ice via large screws so im not too worried about it taking flight. The question i would like to ask relates to the floor. I have purchased a tarpouline that will act as a floor, I pre-cut the holes for fishing but, i dont know wheather i should put the hut directly on the snow or wheather or not I should shovel the snow out of the area im going to mount the hut. I was thinking of mounting the hut on the existing snow and screwing it to the ice this way the bottom of the hut will be beneath the snow ensuring that the wind will not get under the hut and then shoveling the inside of the hut after it has been erected. then i can lay the tarp on the ice this way my little heater will not have to work so hard since the hut will keep in the heat in and the tarp will keep the cold of the ice out while helping to keep the heat in. Do you fine folks have any advise for me? Any help you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Jason

Edited by bassassin

What Crusty said.

Scrape some snow off the ice where you will be erecting your hut. Lay the skirt of your hut outside of the edge, then shovel the snow back on top of the skirt.

Edited by douG