Time to get serious

so I've dabbled in fishing over the years, but now it's time to actually try to do it, and hopefully catch a fish or two in the process. So there is a good chance that I'll be asking a question or 10 in this place, looking for advice, and eventually post a shot or two of a fish that I caught. I hope.

So quick background. I mainly try my fishing with a buddy of mine up in Sheen Quebec on the Ottawa river (right across from Pembroke and Base Petawawa). We just finished putting back together a 16 foot aluminum boat that was falling apart (this was an old boat with most of the wood on it rotten, so new wood, screws, etc). Took it on the river last week, it floats, so here we go. Odds are I will head down to the Ottawa river here in town (live in Ottawa actually) so see what I can get off of the shores.

I actually just got back from Toronto where I spent cash on a new baitcast reel ( http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104116_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0 ) and rod ( http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44528_100002006_100000000_100002000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL ) ( I got the 2 pc one, second from the bottom) and a bunch of other new toys, although too bad the prices at the store wasn't the same as the ones on-line.

Anyhoo. First question. Last year I picked up a Hummingbird Piranha 215 portable (which has a dual beam 20 and 60 degree range), and I'm don't know exacly how to set it up. When I attach the suction cup with the transducer to the boat, what 'direction' should it be facing? I placed it on the left side of the nose of the boat, about 3 or 4 inches below the water, but should the unit be pointed so that it's parallel to the water, or should I have it pointed facing the bottom of the river? As it's adjustable and can angle it up and down, I'm not sure if I'm setting it up right. For the first trip with it (last weekend) I had it at a 45 degree angle, with the flat front of the transducer face down towards the bottom of the river. As the instructions don't really say, is the front part of the unit where the sonar signal comes from, or is it at the bottom of the unit? I tried to find something online, but got frustrated looking and figured this would be a great place to start.

Also if anyone has suggestions on how to use this thing to it's full potention, that would be great as well. Now I'm off to go find good videos on how to use this new reel I picked up today.

Cheers all.

I am in the same boat as you first year takinf fishing to the next level a tip on the bait caster is pull out about 2 casts worth of line then put a bit of electrical tape on the spool then reel it back in the tape will stop the line from birds nesting any more line then to casts worth. as for the transducer if i read it right you want to have the transducer faceing the bottom of the lake

Hi Laphayette welcome to the board. I think you might want to try putting your transducer on the transom of the boat(the back) with the transducer at 90 degrees to the transom. I live in Pet so if you want any other info just let me know. Will be happy to help you out.

I am in the same boat as you first year takinf fishing to the next level a tip on the bait caster is pull out about 2 casts worth of line then put a bit of electrical tape on the spool then reel it back in the tape will stop the line from birds nesting any more line then to casts worth. as for the transducer if i read it right you want to have the transducer faceing the bottom of the lake

I saw that vid on youtube and what a great idea. Now I just have to get to a park to see how far a good cast goes.

Hi Laphayette welcome to the board. I think you might want to try putting your transducer on the transom of the boat(the back) with the transducer at 90 degrees to the transom. I live in Pet so if you want any other info just let me know. Will be happy to help you out.

Ha killer.

If you know the river, when I go up, we useually take off from The Fort (Fort William) in the boat, whether it's a canoe or the 16 footer... lots of islands and places to explore. It will be a few weeks before we get back, but I think I'll see what I can do from shore in Ottawa. Living in centre town with no car limits things a little bit.

Ah The Fort, my second home. Well lets just say I know a few spots. I have been fishing this part of the river for 35 yrs. Get yourself some river charts at M.N.R. Pembroke or the Pembroke Marina, there about 30.00 for the laminated ones. Don't forget your crayon and I will give you some details. Gonna cost you a pint tho :whistling: