Lake St. Clair Summer Questions...

BillyBarilko

Booked a cottage for early August for a week, will be in the Thames river mouth area. Based on this I'm targeting fish I haven't fished in a large lake before.

I'm equipped for Lake Ontario Salmon (Dipsey Rods, Downrigger Rods flea flicker line, braid on the dipseys etc). I do fairly well and am comfortable with fishing for Salmon.

I've never fished big lakes for Musky/Walleye/Bass. I've always fished for them on smaller lakes (Muskoka/Kawarthas etc)

Lake St Clair is shallow it seems, are my riggers of any use?

What equipment do you guys use, what lbs test on dipsey rods? Lure wise I'm good for Musky/Walleye I've targeted them before so I know what works.

What areas should I focus on, I suspect find the deepest water for summer walleyes in Lake St Clair?

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks,

Darrell.

Booked a cottage for early August for a week, will be in the Thames river mouth area. Based on this I'm targeting fish I haven't fished in a large lake before.

I'm equipped for Lake Ontario Salmon (Dipsey Rods, Downrigger Rods flea flicker line, braid on the dipseys etc). I do fairly well and am comfortable with fishing for Salmon.

I've never fished big lakes for Musky/Walleye/Bass. I've always fished for them on smaller lakes (Muskoka/Kawarthas etc)

Lake St Clair is shallow it seems, are my riggers of any use?

What equipment do you guys use, what lbs test on dipsey rods? Lure wise I'm good for Musky/Walleye I've targeted them before so I know what works.

What areas should I focus on, I suspect find the deepest water for summer walleyes in Lake St Clair?

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks,

Darrell.

Darrell, I would leave the riggers at home unless you want to hit some great steelie action out of Wheatley of Erieau. Most guys run 30# mono for muskies with big boards. You will be in a good area for muskies, from Belle River to the Thames is good at that time of year.

Walleye fishing can be hit and miss, but at that time of year I am fishing 10-12 fow off Pike Creek. That would be about a 15 mile ride from the Thames. Crawler harnesses work well, it can be weedy and you will have to work to catch some fish.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

Darrell By August the eyes will have moved deeper down on this end of the lake if they are still around in numbers you will be heading NNE from the large red/white marker for deeper water 17-19' and as bob said drifting slow worm harnesses I can give you some gps points for the area when you are coming down (they are on my gps and its not hooked up right now) I am heading out for work now but will try and give you some good pointers later as for now check out this site it has a great map for you to have a close look at LSC when you place your mouse on the map it will give you GPS points so you may see spots that look great and be able to mark them down or print off a map of LSC and mark the areas you like.

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

Like I said I gotta run for work but will give you pointers later and please remind me about the GPS points later and drop a line closer to the time you are coming down it will be easier to give up to date pointers.

Cheers Mike

Guys this awesome. I see a nice trench out from the Thames river mouth at 19 FOW

I'll be sure to try for walleye out there.

I'll also target Muskey too and post some reports for a first timer. I got 7 days so I hope I can translate my Salmon/Bow experience to landing Walleye and Muskey its been awhile.

I'm used to fishing 200-300 FOW so 20' will be a change :)

If your family will let ya maybe we can get out for a am trip and see if we can get some fish to move. around the XE2 area is good for perch bass and everything else great for family fishing with minnows its weedy but there are always fish in the area that is N42 25.600 W82 27.059 in that area to find the marker then follow the boats or break lines

Sure and thx, I'll msg you closer to the date.

I just like getting out on the water, that week will be pretty relaxed.

I'm gonna try hitting Lake E this year early for eyes besides my main trips out for early bows/salmon on Lake O.

I'm in Kitchener so I'm midway between all the big lakes. Huron/Ontario/Erie.

If your family will let ya maybe we can get out for a am trip and see if we can get some fish to move. around the XE2 area is good for perch bass and everything else great for family fishing with minnows its weedy but there are always fish in the area that is N42 25.600 W82 27.059 in that area to find the marker then follow the boats or break lines