Need to rant and rave

raptorfan

Hello, my name is 'mike' and I too am a steelheading bad luck charm.

I've likely got as much time creekside, actually likely a lot more as I started into it while I was off work. Now for the sake of full disclosure this is my third year chasing these fish. I've had some success landing resident brown trout and catfish, had a couple(2) of steelhead on and lost them to newby mistakes and missed another bunch of hits. But to date I've yet to actually land one.

In fact I'm positive for me it's a matter of right spot wrong time. In all my time fishing I've likely only seen another dozen, maybe less fish landed. So I'm cheering you on, since I feel your pain. I'm definately going to be overjoyed when I land my first one, but I won't take a picture because in my mind that fish is going to grow and become even more epic over time. I'll likely then head home and open a bottle of scotch I've been saving for such a day.

Good luck (and I mean it).

Steelhead - Lake Erie: Rainbows are very water temperature oriented. Once water hits 55 to 60 degrees or when the algae sets up, you have to go out into the lake and find the right temperature to catch them. From late fall to early spring is the best time to hook into these fish from shore. Since you are fishing Lake Erie, there are only a few creeks and rivers to fish for them and only a very short time to catch them. Your best bet is spots around Fort Erie that allow you to fish for them from shore with easy access for a boat. Drop in at the fishing store on Niagara Blvd and the gentleman from there will give you alot of hints and tricks. Last year, the best bait was a small to medium size rubber minnow. From November to May, you can catch Browns and Bows at many different spots. Remember, timing is everything when you are catching these fish. In Fort Erie, you can catch alot of fish from the Old Dance Hall with only worms, down to the last drift before the bend in the river. There are alot of hotspots between these two points. Drive along this area and also chat up with the locals. They are very friendly and will help lots.

Rob!

i spent years mucking around with limited success. spend the money on the gear and spend the time on the river.

i can think of things that likely are limiting your success as a beginner (thinking back to my experimentations the last few years):

1) what cast do you use? are you able to hit near and far seams accurate and repeatedly? is your line tangling often?

2) do you have proper shot or are you using big stuff?

3) what size of float are you using? as a beginner there is a tendency to use too much float/weight because it makes the rod easier to cast

4) are you "trotting"?

also, as solo said these fish (and your success rate) are dictated by environmental stimulus. getting a feel for when certain rivers in your area peak is part of the program for us addicts...eventually you get a feel for for what type of conditions/season are best for what tribs...

some days it's bad luck, but after that many hours i'd say it comes down to something you are (or aren't) doing.

1. I use the wallace cast. I am starting to get much more accurate with it, and very few tangles now. I spent many hours in my yard practicing with a 2/5 oz spoon

2. Yes I have proper shot, I have the raven kit. I change up my shot on site if I find what I am using isn't working after watching how my presentation drifts.

3. I use anywhere from a 5.6 to 11 raven float.

4. I am not familiar with the term "trotting"

Thanks for the questions, I hope my answers are what you were looking for

Do you keep a fishing log?

Each outing you go take note of weather, winds, temps cloud cover. More importantly, water temp, clarity and colours. This will put a database of when fish move into your favourite rivers and when they are more catchable.

Fish a few rivers and get to know their moods, I can tell you right now from 1500km away how certain rivers I used to fish look, check out the flow gauges, befriend an MNR fire employee and they can get you better precip levels, away from Environment Canada weather stations.

The Dr. and I spent a lot of years with little success learning on our own how to figure out steelhead, resources are great but keep on fishing.

2 last thoughts, are you sure you're in the right place at the right time or just a convienent one? Want to catch fish, go to the flow that is prime conditions, alot of guys are driving 8 hours or more to fish prime conditions.

If you're not catching and the fish are there its time for a complete revamp of your rigging, line, shotting pattern/amount etc. Start over with something out of your comfort zone.

I have started keeping a log over recent weeks after reading about it in an article. I bought myself a thermometer to use as well. I check the MNR site frequently for flow rates in the rivers I fish, but I am still trying to figure out exactly what it means to me....but that will come with time.

As I said, I am not afraid to put in the time to learn this sport, or the effort for that matter. It has never been in my nature to fail, which is what keeps me going :)

I agree with both Mike and "Harrison"...it is definitely timing. Also, become a master at a few rivers instead of hopping around from "trib" to "trib"...steelhead are a fish of instinct, catching them is not difficult once you master presentation and timing.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Before I got into it, I had a nice long talk with Jos, and he told me this exact thing. I have only gone for steelies in 3 rivers/streams to try and master them. The guy I started fishing with jumps from trib to trib to trib, and that is just not for me. He also has alot more time and less responsibility than me so it is much easier for him. I just wish I had some more free sundays so I could take Jos up on his offer to go out with him and the guys from Angling Outfitters. I could probably learn more in 3 hours from watching them than I could fishing 100hrs by myself.

anyone else think this could be a factor?

Is trotting making sure my bait is drifting downstream of my float, and not behind so that the float is always tipped back towards me a little bit? If so, than this is what I always aim to do while hopefully tapping bottom once in a while

I think the biggest mistake I made when I was real green was sticking with the same setup and not changing.. If I don't get a hit or tap or snag in 2-3 drifts I change something. Whether that be bulk shotting a bit more near my leader, or lengthening my lead, etc etc. Even with the same lead length, the position of your shot makes a big big difference..

I am real lucky that I fish with some real veterans and ask a sh!tload of questions :) Sometimes you just need to get the feel of things... One of my favourite rivers to fish was one of my most hated last year..

Just gotta keep at it.

Keep at it RF!!!

I was a little lucky I think, when I first started Fishing rivers, it was for salmon on the notty, my buddy and I had absolutley no clue and these websites werent around, but fortunately, my buddy knew a guy that used to guide in BC and we showed him a spot where we found a whack of fish and he showed us how to catch them and have been learning more every year ever since. So one day around 5-6 years ago, while salmon fishing in September, I happened upon a pool full of steelhead, I went 5/20 that day using my primitive spinning gear float set up,..and i learned more and more everytime I went out and kept catching fish.

Talking to guys on the river and watching them is definately key!!!

Once you know how to get them to hit,..Knowing when and where to fish is defintaely the biggest factor. as others have mentioned. I would say when you have found fish (or atleast are pretty sure you have),..knowing what and how to present and when to set the hook and the confidence is the next biggest thing.

The first year I had a pin, I still brought my spinning rod float set up and caught way more fish on it even in the big rivers.

On smaller rivers a pin wont do you much good for hooks-ups,..it will help you land them faster for sure and it is definately more fun,...it has advantages for long tight drifts on larger systems, but for smaller rivers you can totally do very well with a spinning set up.

The best advice I can give you to shorten your learning curve is to hire a guide or go out with some guys from this board who know when and where as well as you might want to try catchin or atleast hooking them on a spinning rod before using the pin.

PS,..I know a guy who caught a few chromers on the Notty on his first few outings aand then went dry out east for probably 50 outings while we caught fish all around him,..so dont feel too bad,..it could be worse. :)