Paradise on the ice

It's been a while since I posted anything.. with the new baby, haven't fished much this winter.

So here is my mini report of my last ice trip, a spec tournament.

What a weekend! When I got a call from Mike Lazarus in February asking me if I wanted to participate in a private ice fishing tournament I did not hesitate to say yes. As usual we kept worrying about the weather, will it be below freezing with howling winds, or would it rain? March brings very unexpected conditions sometimes. The tournament would be held on a private lake which was also stocked for the event with large brook trout so that we could not only hope to catch lunkers but also be able to keep them for a feast. With a dozen anglers making the trip I knew some of these fishermen were die-hards.

Terrific setup and perfect setting, the feast the night before the tournament was perfect. Everyone seem to mingle and blend in well (I guess having all the same passion for this sport kind of helps), we all had lots of laughs.

8.jpg

Crack of dawn the next morning we all have a quick breakfast and setup our gear in the sled and take turns being driven out to the lake by snowmobile. In these types of trips, anything that can go wrong usually does: snowmobile flips over, ice auger breaks down, sled sinks in the slush and the winch stops working, just to name a few. Aside from the mishaps, the fishing was tremendous! These stocked fish were big and ferocious, almost everyone locked in to a monster speckled trout. Everyone kept moving around trying to locate the fish and a few stood out from the crowd with several big catches each: Lonnie, Greg, Jodi, Pistilli and Phillips.

The day progressed and a BBQ was delivered on the ice for some great eats! Burgers, hotdogs, smoked trout, smoked salmon, wild sausages and like some tv fishing show host always says: “ it was paradise”.

14.jpg

Have a look at some of the great catches during the day. Most fish hooked on jigging rods with a few on flag tip-ups.

01.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

My new Personal best (I think everyone got a new PB that day)

Check out the video, it's available in HD(720p) as well (on youtube)