Stoney Lake - Peterborough

3MAN13

I Have rented a cottage on Stoney Lake in July. I was wondering if anyone can let me know any good spots to try? I heard there is Musky in the Lake. Is this true?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site 3Man. You may find you get a better response from the members if you first make a post introducing yourself. It is kinda the custom here. There are many experienced anglers and I am sure once they get to know you they will help you.

I will say that there are many musky in the lake. I will give you three hints and then you can find them on a map and go from there.

Hurricane Bend, Horseshoe Bay, Burleigh Falls.

Welcome to the site 3Man. You may find you get a better response from the members if you first make a post introducing yourself. It is kinda the custom here. There are many experienced anglers and I am sure once they get to know you they will help you.

I will say that there are many musky in the lake. I will give you three hints and then you can find them on a map and go from there.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the help. I am very new to the entire blog thing online. I hope I am doing this right. I am an experienced angler myself. Well I at least think I am. I had a trailer in Mohawk Bay on Quinte for a 5 yrs. i rented a cottage on Stony because I have been there once before and fro what I remember it was a very nice lake. We are considering buying a cottage there if we really like it. I am taking my in-laws with us for the week and my father in-law has never caought a Musky so I thought it would be fun to try to get him one.

Well talk to you all soon?

Chris

My Marlin.jpg

yes be very careful out side the channels are gps has saved us a few times now, might not look shallow but there are rock points all over the lake. its not hard to find large mouth there every where and out of the 4 years we have been going up there we have yet to "catch" a musky lots of follows and lures go missing tho (not using leaders)never really go after them tho

Welcome to the site 3man. What are you looking to catch? Where's the cottage located?

As has been said, the lake has some nice bass in it, both numbers and size. Look for the standard spots - islands, bays, humps, any kind of structure. There is more than enough structure to keep everyone happy. On a related not, most of the rocks that you're going to run a boat into will be marked with jugs throughout the summer by the helpful locals, so avoiding them isn't too bad (but remember that most is not all).

If panfish is your game (or you have kids), you should do just fine.

I've caught a few walleye out of Stoney, and heard mixed reviews from other people (some say it's great, others are fed up) - my recommendation is that you don't set your hopes too high if you're after walleye.

I've been fishing the lake for longer than I care to admit, without catching a muskie. I've seen it done, so I know they're there, but can't provide any advice on it.

Welcome 3man13 to THE BEST FISHING FORUM....PERIOD!

I tried to send you a PM you a PM with some info. DOES not seem to be operational yet. Been fishing Stoney for a bunch of years and still do. I will try to help you out but there are many on this board with MORE knowledge than

FT

Edited by Fishn Technishn

Fished Stoney the last two years....never had trouble catching Largemouth or Smallmouth. The walleye fishing IMHO is VERY good once you learn the pattern of the lake...never caught a muskie there but I don't try...also a very good bluegill and crappie population there...as far as the rocks, etc...get yourself a Stoney Lake map chip for your GPS unit...it will save you from a prop repair and put more fish in the boat.

Bob

Welcome to the site 3man. What are you looking to catch? Where's the cottage located?

As has been said, the lake has some nice bass in it, both numbers and size. Look for the standard spots - islands, bays, humps, any kind of structure. There is more than enough structure to keep everyone happy. On a related not, most of the rocks that you're going to run a boat into will be marked with jugs throughout the summer by the helpful locals, so avoiding them isn't too bad (but remember that most is not all).

I've caught a few walleye out of Stoney, and heard mixed reviews from other people (some say it's great, others are fed up) - my recommendation is that you don't set your hopes too high if you're after walleye.

I've been fishing the lake for longer than I care to admit, without catching a muskie. I've seen it done, so I know they're there, but can't provide any advice on it.

Thanks. I am not sure where the cottage is located yet. I rented it from www.northerncomfort.cm cottage 110. They will send me the address once they get my cheque in the mail. i have a little girls but she is way to little to fish. I was hoping I could try to get a my father in-law a Musky. I also really enjoy LM Bass fishing. I had a trailer on Bay of Quinte so I have caought my share of Walleye and Bass. I was just hoping to get a few tips for the lake from any local experts. :-)

Again thanks for the welcome email.

Chris

Welcome 3man13 to THE BEST FISHING FORUM....PERIOD!

I tried to send you a PM you a PM with some info. DOES not seem to be operational yet. Been fishing Stoney for a bunch of years and still do. I will try to help you out but there are many on this board with MORE knowledge than

FT

Thanks for the welcome email. Not sure what the PM is? But any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Fished Stoney the last two years....never had trouble catching Largemouth or Smallmouth. The walleye fishing IMHO is VERY good once you learn the pattern of the lake...never caught a muskie there but I don't try...also a very good bluegill and crappie population there...as far as the rocks, etc...get yourself a Stoney Lake map chip for your GPS unit...it will save you from a prop repair and put more fish in the boat.

Bob

Thanks Bob. problem is I dont have a GPS unit on my boat. Maybe its time to get one. Any siggestions for one? Dont need the fish finder though. Have one of those.

Welcome aboard! 3MAN13

Stoney Lake is definitely very rocky and that's the main reason I have not fished there yet.

Mohawk Bay Trailer Park eh? I've been going to Dave's place for the past 4~5 yrs for Walleye opener, great location and just a wonderful atmosphere.