troling motor wireing

archer379

I was out at the boat today going over things dam i can't wait to get it out. Anyway was sizing up where the batterys are going to sit and still reach the new charger. when i noticed that i have 4 wires coming from the plug for the trolling motor now the old trolling motor was 12 volt the new one is 24 volt. The wires are red, black( these are used for the 12 vot), orange, and black with a blue line. black was used as negative red was positive how do i wire this up are he other 2 wires for the other battery if so which one would be positive and which is negitive

thanks

While Roy is correct that this is the coding for the multiplug... I doubt that's how you're going to wire your motor. I haven't seen a 24 volt trolling motor with 4 wires on it.. you're still going to use only 2 wires. You are going to join your two batteries in series to get 24 volts.. and have a negative and positive wire go to the plug. Same deal on the motor.. 2 wires going into the male plug. If you want diversity.. and the possibility of using a 12V trolling motor on the boat at any time. You can wire the Black/Red to one battery at 12V.. and use Black with Blue strip and Orange as your 24volt contacts. Don't forget your Circuit breakers in any case..