Outboard Parts - Ordering Online from marineengine

canuckjack

Has anyone ordered parts/manuals from marineengine.com?

I'm looking to grab a manual, two new intake screens, and an impeller repair kit for my 1989 Johnson 30hp, and I'd rather not go through the local Johnson dealer. Called them this morning to ask about a spring tune up and he says "yeah we'll start er up and see how she runs" ....and charge me an hour labour for the "service" so I'll just do the work myself thanks.

MarineEngine has everything I need in stock but before I hit the "spend my money" button I figured I'd ask here in case there's some horror story I should know about. Or a online Canadian dealer so I won't get bent over quite so far for the shipping fees...

Never heard of the place but you sparked my interest (have an occasional need as well)

Checked their site under the shipping tab. Manuals seem to be sent by USPS (postal) which should be ok. However, it seems parts to Canada are sent UPS. IF that's the case, UPS brokerage and all the other charges can add up fast! I've heard of 40.00 to 60.00 just for brokerage, plus freight, plus GST and any other plus that can be found. Oh, and you pay for the parts on top of all that of course. Your local dealer may have just become much less expensive for the few parts you're seeking.

Michael

Yeah good point CheapTackle, I think I can get around most of those fees by having it shipped to a receiving place in Massena.

Will probably order this stuff in the next week or so, so I'll report back on the experience when my stuff gets delivered.

It'll be interesting to see what your experience is canuckjack. Crossborder can be good, I had some stuff sent via USPS with no glitches or costs at all. It was about a 140.00 US order, but the vendor marked it as rod repair parts valued at 20.00. Came right to my mailbox, didn't even have to pick it up at the post office. Dunno where Massena is but I'm guessing in the US someplace where you can have it forwarded to you. Good Luck!

Michael

I occassionally order from marinemanifold.com out of BC. They only sell aftermarket Sierra parts. You can also buy the Sierra parts at NAPA, but not all NAPA dealers realise they sell marine parts. Is there a problem with your intake screens and water pump? I find its rarely necessary to order the entire impeller repair kit. It can't hurt, though. The Seloc/Clymer manuals are lousy, but better than nothing. Check your PM's. I might be able to help you out.

I occassionally order from marinemanifold.com out of BC. They only sell aftermarket Sierra parts. You can also buy the Sierra parts at NAPA, but not all NAPA dealers realise they sell marine parts. Is there a problem with your intake screens and water pump? I find its rarely necessary to order the entire impeller repair kit. It can't hurt, though. The Seloc/Clymer manuals are lousy, but better than nothing. Check your PM's. I might be able to help you out.

Hey Boatman, PM sent.

The fins on one of the intake screens are broken, well gone actually, and as they're fairly cheap figured I might as well have a spare on hand. As far as the impeller goes, I just got the boat at the end of last season and the indicator stream seemed kind of weak. I forgot to ask the old owner when the last time the impeller was changed so I figure might as well just do it and not have to worry about it.

An update, just because I said I would, I decided not to order online. I didn't want to have to deal with possible returns, incorrect/damaged parts, etc...

Went to the local dealer they had everything I needed in stock and I paid the exact same prices but in canuck bucks and with no shipping so I'm pretty glad I went that way. Now to find some time to get this stuff installed.