Pointe Au Baril

City, yes beautiful, and unless you venture out past the bay more or less sheltered waters. I went there for like 25 years straight, although the last time I was there was in 1989 I wouldn`t be afraid to go back. Sure there have been changes over the years, increased fishing pressure and boat traffic can do that. Gobies, other changes like water clarity may be a factor also.

I don`t really care much about what locals, or other fishermen say about an area. The camp owner couldn`t believe I caught those walleyes, I think I had 4 that day fishing with my ex, where I caught them and in July. I actually caught more walleye there than my father, who went more often and supposedly in prime walleye season. He just insisted on fishing for them in one or two ways and couldn`t give up on the old school methods. Sure they work sometimes, but sometimes they are not the best approach.

Those fish, that day were caught on large chubs and minnows, pike sized bait floated under a slip bobber along an edge, but I have caught them there casting spinnerbaits, bottom fishing, casting a crank bait or trolling old school. If you have time, a week or two vacation, and stay flexible you should have some good days.

It was always worth a the trip there just to chill out and relax, and fishing is supposed to be fun, if you get too twisted over not catching anything learn more about it or try golf.