vhf radio

rob v

I've started thinking about upgrading my VHF radio. My unit is going on 20 years old and I've come to find out there's plenty of things that have changed in radios over that period of time.

I"ve come across the lowrance LVR 880 recently - it seems to have a lot of features (probably more than I need) one of which that's kinda neat is that it receives FM signals as well. It would also tie in nicely to my lowrance LMS 525C sonar/GPS unit.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this unit - good or bad.

Any input would be appreciated - thanks.

PS- now that the hockey game (phew that was close) /olympics are over I can start thinking about something else for a change !!

I've had it for 2 yrs and no complaints. Received itas an upgrade as my lower end Lowrance stopped working after a month of use, they didnt have my model in stock so gave me the better unit. I never bothered using the FM function as have another unit for the tunes. I like the larger screen over the lower end unit but over all its quit larger, luckily I had the extra room to mount it. i dont think you can go wrong with any Lowrance product and there after purchase experience is the best I have ever seen from any manufacturer. I'm comparing that to Humminbird who never even returned my emails/calls once i mentioned a had a problem with one of their units. Stick to Lowrance in my opinion....

The like the RayMarine radios better......they are the old Raytheon Company and put out a QUALITY product which is more reliable then the Lowrance radio.....Lowrance has had a LOT of quality issues lately ever since Navico bought them out....but anyways here's the one I would recommend.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=33375

Bob

READ THE CUSTOMER RATINGS ON BOTH UNITS as Cabela's does sell both.

Edited by Billy Bob