Fishing the Nipissing South Shore

Jonny

Old Harv and I fished the South Shore of Nipissing a couple of days ago. It's an area I have no experience with. I usually fish the North Shore and the Goose Islands, both in summer and in winter. The large concentration of huts is something we don't see on the North side. Some of the hut groupings looked like subdivisions, and there were numerous bungalows (over-nighters).

We got on the lake in the Bear Creek area with the truck and had a friend of Harv's lead us on his snowmobile over the pressure cracks to a hut in the vicinity of Muskie Bay, well past the major concentrations of huts. The friend, who used to run a large number of huts, drilled holes for us and got a fire started, then left us to our devices for the day. (I'd mention who he is but I forgot to ask permission.)

We had a good catch of perch, but unfortunately no pickerel or pike. Great day just the same. Minus 18 in the morning, minus 8 in the PM, gloriously bright and sunny, no wind.

Fishing about 25 feet of water. Ice was close to 2 ft thick. The pressure cracks in this area were not large or high.

The reports we've heard in talking to quite a number of people are that the pickerel are generally scarce so far.

Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on the wood stove for lunch, a few cigars, traded fishing, hunting and other adventure stories all day, sometimes just sat quiet waiting for the next bite... it doesn't get much better.

Going out:

P2050013800x600.jpg

The hut:

P2050017800x600.jpg

Drilling in the hut:

P2050019800x600.jpg

Drilling outside:

P2050021800x600.jpg

Waiting patiently:

P2050024800x600.jpg

The catch (kept 32 out of about 60):

P2060002800x600.jpg

Fillet slabs:

P2060005800x600.jpg

Ready for the pan:

P2060006800x600.jpg

Edited by Jocko

I was kinda hoping somebody would chime in with "Hey we got some good pickerel on the South Shore". It would have made me a touch disappointed in our outing but would give me some better hope for the fishery.

Maybe I missed something in another thread.

I wonder, what have other guys who post here heard about pickerel success (or lack of it) so far on Nip this winter?

Great report Jocko...sounds like an enjoyable day...pickerel or not. I've actually been reading decent reports of pickerel...and even a few walleye :rolleyes: being caught in the South Shore area...just about everything I've heard said 30 FOW was the ticket...so I WAS a bit surprised to hear you didn't come across any in 25. The other theory going around is that the smelt population is quite healthy...I know people getting good pickerel action have been using stuff that looks somewhat smelt-ish... :dunno:

Ah well...back out you go! ;)

I can't speak for myself, but by uncle has been fishing from Campbells bay to the mouth of the French river with no success. He said he caught two Walleye all year and last year was just as bad. He told me that many peaple fishing in the area have not been cacthing much either. Those spots include fisherman, blueberry island and target. He didn't even catch many perch this year either.

I haven't been out ice fishing the last few years because i have two boys playing hockey, but i don't think i'm missing much, at least at are end of the lake. Those perch are very tasty though, good luck finding Walleye.

The other theory going around is that the smelt population is quite healthy...I know people getting good pickerel action have been using stuff that looks somewhat smelt-ish... :dunno: Ah well...back out you go! ;)

Well there could be something to that, johnny, we have one hell of a smelt run in the spring on the North Shore. You'd think that might also mean bigger walleye. I don't know how the biology would fit, though. Aren't smelt more of a suspending fish rather than foraging near the bottom?

I can't speak for myself, but by uncle has been fishing from Campbells bay to the mouth of the French river with no success. He said he caught two Walleye all year and last year was just as bad. He told me that many peaple fishing in the area have not been cacthing much either. Those spots include fisherman, blueberry island and target. He didn't even catch many perch this year either.

I haven't been out ice fishing the last few years because i have two boys playing hockey, but i don't think i'm missing much, at least at are end of the lake. Those perch are very tasty though, good luck finding Walleye.

That doesn't sound too good, CR. I know the MNR does some catch surveys on the lake - counting off and measuring what fishermen catch. I wonder what those numbers show. Maybe they don't want us to know. ;)

Talking to several people I know who fish the Burritt I/Goose I area a LOT, there were very few pickerel taken in that area last winter.

You're right about those perch. They cook up to a real treat, just a little more fussy to clean.

One of the local lakes I fish in the Haliburtains (The name slips my memory at the moment), has a healthy population of Smelt as well. We fish in 50 - 60 fow for white fish and lake trout yet with the fish finder when you see a fish up high >17ft, it's usually a walleye. Ironically the walleye are suspended in this lake in the winter months as that is where the baitfish population is.

I just noticed there is a group on facebook called SAVE LAKE NIPISSING WALLEYE. There's 1300 fans and hours of reading if you wish to do so. Richard Row ( i think he works for the MNR?) had alot to say aswell as many natives adding their 2 cents. I don't buy the theory of the increase of smelts but i do believe the walleye population is declining and something should be done.

I fish Nip year round, (in season of course lol) and have done great. I find the Walleye harder to find in the winter than summer, but if you move around, you'll find them. I've fished it a lot over the past 10 years or so, and during the hard water, for the first 6 years or so, fished south shore, and did very well. Last 4 years, we moved it to Callander bay, as during the open water, it was amazing. First couple years on C-bay were great, Last year, as we all know was terrible, and this year, not much better for me on C-bay. This year on South Shore however, where we used to put our hut, has been awesome!! Limit out if we kept them all many times, and never skunked with walleye any time. I'm moving my hut back there tomorrow. I'm not saying that the winter take and the netting isn't a lot of pressure on the fishery, but the last 3-4 years has been the best open water I've had out there, maybe just getting to know it better, I don't know?! What I do know, is that there are still a lot of fish, and quality fish in the lake, that are just begging me to try and catch them, so try i will....

Thrasher

I fish Nip year round, (in season of course lol) and have done great. I find the Walleye harder to find in the winter than summer, but if you move around, you'll find them. I've fished it a lot over the past 10 years or so, and during the hard water, for the first 6 years or so, fished south shore, and did very well. Last 4 years, we moved it to Callander bay, as during the open water, it was amazing. First couple years on C-bay were great, Last year, as we all know was terrible, and this year, not much better for me on C-bay. This year on South Shore however, where we used to put our hut, has been awesome!! Limit out if we kept them all many times, and never skunked with walleye any time. I'm moving my hut back there tomorrow. I'm not saying that the winter take and the netting isn't a lot of pressure on the fishery, but the last 3-4 years has been the best open water I've had out there, maybe just getting to know it better, I don't know?! What I do know, is that there are still a lot of fish, and quality fish in the lake, that are just begging me to try and catch them, so try i will....

Thrasher

I can't agree more. It seems like the walleye are playing hide and seek during the winter months these last few years.

Jeff

I just noticed there is a group on facebook called SAVE LAKE NIPISSING WALLEYE. There's 1300 fans and hours of reading if you wish to do so. Richard Row ( i think he works for the MNR?) had alot to say aswell as many natives adding their 2 cents. I don't buy the theory of the increase of smelts but i do believe the walleye population is declining and something should be done.

He used to work for the MNR now he works for the natives.

Ironically the walleye are suspended in this lake in the winter months as that is where the baitfish population is.

Fishing in the places I have fished, I didn't know that walleye would sometimes suspend for long periods. You learn something every day.

I just noticed there is a group on facebook called SAVE LAKE NIPISSING WALLEYE.

I looked up that site, thanks. Lots of info and opinion there. It will keep me busy for a while!

What I do know, is that there are still a lot of fish, and quality fish in the lake, that are just begging me to try and catch them, so try i will....

Good to hear some positive stuff, thanks!

Great report and pics Jocko :thumbsup_anim:

Now that's what I call fishing in style

P2050017800x600.jpg

I bet it was nice and cozy inside next to the wood stove..... filtered try again please chatting about past adventures and hooking into some B) It's been some time since I got into one of those for hard water fishing, always enjoy feeding the fire to keep it nice and comfy..... you guys certainly got into a good feed of them beauties, congrats :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Picture_1557.jpg

Thrasher

OK so we all are going to have to go fish at THRASHER'S hut, here is a photo of his hut so you can find it.

Jeff

Thanks, Jacques.

Once you get settled into a warm hut, you could stay there for days. I guess that`s why the overnight `bungalows`are getting more popular!

It sure is an effortless way to fish, especially if you can drive right up to it with your truck! There`s nothing else quite like it.

I agree with THrasher on the summer fishing on Nipissing it has been out of this world the last two seasons. As for the suspeneded I believe it we had a guy get an eight pounder the other day fishing for what he thought were herring halfway down the water column. There is an increased number of smelts in the lake as guys fishing with pin heads are catching them on hooks and lines. The reasonn why the summer fishing isn't being affected is because the pickerel have to be on the bottom to be in there comfort level. The winter time the water is all the same so they will roam to any depth the food is at. I have been trying one hook on the bottom and another one about fifteen feet up on the samr line. Not too much sucess yet but it doesn't hurt to try. If you think Nipissing's walleye are on the decline give it a try in the summer months...... I am sure the experience will change your mind. Happy Fishing

I moved my hut last friday. Fished from about 3-7pm +/- on friday, saturday, sunday and wednesday. The first 2 nights caught 4 walleye, (one was 6.5 lbs), and tons of perch. The last 2 nites, SKUNKED!!!!! Apperently I jinxed myself!! I mean, uh, it's the, uh, mid winter slow down, that's it! lol!

Hey Sandy, you're kinda creepin me out... Do I know you? How do you know what shack is mine??

I moved my hut last friday. Fished from about 3-7pm +/- on friday, saturday, sunday and wednesday. The first 2 nights caught 4 walleye, (one was 6.5 lbs), and tons of perch. The last 2 nites, SKUNKED!!!!! Apperently I jinxed myself!! I mean, uh, it's the, uh, mid winter slow down, that's it! lol!

Hey Sandy, you're kinda creepin me out... Do I know you? How do you know what shack is mine??

Stalker lol