New project..need some help.

bigfish1965

I am in the development phase of creating a new website that may be a partnership between myself and a few levels of government...I have the municipal guys on board (no money, but they are on board..lol)

It will be dealing with Urban Wildlife and information/education for those dealing with the rapid increase of urban wildlife.

Originally I will be focusing on the Niagara/Golden Horseshoe area but will expand beyond that if things go well.

This is a non-profit venture so there is no money flying around. I will be hosting it myself to keep costs down.

What I need is biologists, wildlife techs and photographers willing to give me articles and pics that would be suitable.

I am going to be rolling a study of urban coyotes in St Catharines into this project and will be doing things like going out and doing active calling in areas with reports of troubles and trying to photograph packs to get ideas on numbers and movements. The city is somewhat concerned about the rapid increase in coyote/pet attacks here lately. If that sounds like fun, come join me. I already have the pepper spray..lol. Jewelbee donated that.

I have already completed a smaller scale study on the beaver population in Niagara that I had done for the city last year. Those results will be on the site.

I know you rural guys are all accustomed to yotes, beavers and all the stuff we are now starting to see in the bigger cities so any advice on damage prevention (outside of killing cause that just will never fly here) would be great too.

The last time I talked to one of the wildife techs at the MNR about it, the bears had moved as far south as Guelph (a moose was also spotted in the area). If you are asking if the spring hunt is coming back... I doubt it until they do reach a major city, like London.

The drop off in hunting of all types is a contributor to the increase in urban wildlife numbers as are things like urban sprawl and connected green belts between urban centers. The spread of predators will always be dependent on food, living space and adaptation.