Swimbait Rod?

wellis1840

I know that everyone is into ice fishing right now (as am I) but I have started thinking about open water again…

Next season I want to get into using swimbaits. I am not targeting any one species as yet. The rig I am using right now is a little to light for swimbaits. I have picked out the reel I want to use for this new rig and it will be the Curado 300E. I haven’t a clue what to pick for the rod. I guess most of the time I will be using lures up to ~3 ounces. I rarely have access to a boat so fishing from the shore will be the norm. I would like to get a two piece rod as it would be easier to transport.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Ellis,

I will send you a PM after on that Swimbait setup. You may want to rethink that reel. Not really a great swimbait reel. Great reel but hard on the wrists afterthrowing them al day. You need the proper rod/reel setup if not you will abandon the technique very quickly. I'm 270 lbs and if fishing the wrong combo i even wind up having a terrible pain in the shoulder and neck. Give me some idea on what you are deciding to fish, suck as TT baits, Matts, Castaic, etc.

Well....first off....I wouldn't target bass and then muskie with the same rod and reel.

You usually don't want to use a fast action rod for crank baits. You want a little bit more "give" so the hooks don't rip out of the fish's mouth. I have always loved very fast action rods but I have to admit that the slightly slower action has improved the number of fish captured.

Since you will be fishing from shore, how about an 8 foot rod. I use a Berkley Series One (salmon-steelhead) rod for cranking from shore.

Use one of those Shimano Citica 200E. I don't have the budget for one so I use a Procaster Z H103 or a Procaster X H103.

• 3 years later...

i know this is a very old thread, but i would rather not start a new one.

DOBYNS 795 / 806 would be a good place to start. great rods! get use to the longer handle rods. trust me - your body will thank you later.