Ice fishing season underway on Nipissing

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2245274

Ice fishing season underway

Posted By JENNIFER HAMILTON-MCCHARLES, THE NUGGET

Updated 10:00 am, Jan 4

It's never too cold to go ice fishing.

The -32C weather Saturday may have kept the weak at home, but for die-hards like Martin Mailloux and Chris Roy, nothing was going to stop them from putting their line in the water.

And they weren't alone in their thinking.

Callander Bay was a busy spot this weekend.

About 75 ice shacks were on the ice with another 150 expected in the next week or two.

Finding the perfect fishing spot isn't easy.

Mailloux has been going to the same spot on Deep Water Point for the last five years. But the 27-year-old isn't comfortable relying solely on his memory.

I used my GPS (Global Positioning System) to make sure I have the exact location," he said.

A few people were getting set up Friday, but in no time there will be 1,000 shacks on the lake."

Mailloux didn't have much luck, but he did get some action.

I missed two," he said.

Advertisement

But then again, I only had my line in the water for a few hours."

It's not just the catch that makes the sport attractive.

I go out there to get away from everything and really, I don't care if I catch anything," Mailloux said, confessing that pickerel are the exception to the rule.

The fishing bug has also bitten his two-year-old daughter, who also loves the challenge.

Mailloux said when the fish aren't biting he usually brings some of her toys and colouring books to keep her occupied.

Roy was waiting on the shore of Callander Bay for his family to arrive with the ice shack.

He said there are many reasons he prefers Callander Bay.

The fishing is really good, but it depends on what you want. We had to return a lot of big ones," he said.

The lake is also easily accessible. If you don't have a snow-machine and the snow is too deep (to drive on), you can just walk out."

Roy said it may look crowded, but if the fishing isn't good people move their shacks further out the channel near the lighthouse.

According to two local bait shops customers were already lined up at their front doors before 6 a.m.

It's a little cold, but it's busy as hell," said Bob Esch, owner of Trout Lake Outdoor Centre.

A lot of this sport is dictated by the weather, but people still want to go out and catch some fish."

Billy Bob Richards, owner of Billy Bob's Bait on Lakeshore Drive, said ice fishing season isn't like summer fishing.

People want to get out there early for the morning pickerel bite."

Richards said the season has just started, but it looks like it will be a good one.

There's lots of shacks out there and there looks to be between eight to 10 inches of ice, which is more than we had last year at this time."

Richards said the sport is also becoming more attractive because it's economical.

For $3 or $4 you can fish all day," he said.

And anyone can do it."

Ken Fricker, who lives on the shore of Lake Nipissing near Jocko Point, hasn't seen too much activity on the ice.

He loves the sport, but isn't sure the ice is thick enough.

I know the ice is safe when people are driving their trucks on it or putting their ice shacks on."

Ontario Provincial Police are

warning snowmobilers that area waterways are not safe at this time.

According to OPP, they've received a couple of reports of vehicles going through the ice Friday, however no injuries were reported.