Fishfinder questions

splashhopper

As I do a little researching on this topic, some of the fishfinders seem to put an emphasis on the "wider fish detection coverage"... ie 45 degrees to 90 degrees etc.

Others talk about readability in sunlight , power at different depths etc...

In a portable model what should I be looking for?

How much should I expect to spend for a reasonable unit?

I mainly fish rivers and smaller lakes with depths ranging from 1-25 ft ( I think).

Thanks

Splashhopper

i posted a link for Bot Bot in your other thread

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...3-_-22074868513

it will do everything you want without breaking the bank...

I just forwarded that to "Santa"....

now the question is... WHY do I want that particular one? ie,.. what features make it a good choice for me...

thanks bro

There are a couple of basic things to know about fish finders.

The angle of the beam, sent down from the transducer determinants how big a circle you are seeing on the bottom. I seem to recall a 20* beam covers a 20 ft circle in 20 feet of water.

Therefore a dual beam transducer with both 20 and 60 degree beams might be preferable for a guy who fishes a lot of shallow water.

The second thing to understand is the number of vertical pixels will determine the detail that you are able to see. The more the better. With only 160 vertical pixels, in 20 ft of water each pixel represents 1.5 inches...with 320 pixels each pixel is 3/4 of an inch.

You can convert dash mounts to portable use and portables to dash mount, but for your first unit I suggest you buy something simple and get used to using it.

I just forwarded that to "Santa"....

now the question is... WHY do I want that particular one? ie,.. what features make it a good choice for me...

thanks bro

this will give the info your searching for ... surface temp depth speed and your daughter will enjoy watching the little fishies go by on the screen with anticipation of catching one ( very important for preoccupying hours on end)

never trust the speed of any fishfinder that doesnt come with built in GPS

Edited by Twocoda

There are a couple of basic things to know about fish finders.

The angle of the beam, sent down from the transducer determinants how big a circle you are seeing on the bottom. I seem to recall a 20* beam covers a 20 ft circle in 20 feet of water.

Therefore a dual beam transducer with both 20 and 60 degree beams might be preferable for a guy who fishes a lot of shallow water.

The second thing to understand is the number of vertical pixels will determine the detail that you are able to see. The more the better. With only 160 vertical pixels, in 20 ft of water each pixel represents 1.5 inches...with 320 pixels each pixel is 3/4 of an inch.

You can convert dash mounts to portable use and portables to dash mount, but for your first unit I suggest you buy something simple and get used to using it.

20 degree beam covers 20 feet at 60 feet of depth.

As I do a little researching on this topic, some of the fishfinders seem to put an emphasis on the "wider fish detection coverage"... ie 45 degrees to 90 degrees etc.

Others talk about readability in sunlight , power at different depths etc...

In a portable model what should I be looking for?

How much should I expect to spend for a reasonable unit?

I mainly fish rivers and smaller lakes with depths ranging from 1-25 ft ( I think).

Thanks

Splashhopper

Jeez. Yer taking all the suspense out of it. What's the fun in knowing the little finny fellers are hanging out just exackly where yer gonna drop the unnaturally natural lure of choice? I once told my brother in law to can all that and just buy a few nitrox fills for me and I'd swim under the boat and report where the fishies are hanging out. I figgered I'd get to dive, see the purty fish, and he'd still be dangling his worm just like always.

Seriously though, it's funny how the fish don't really mind us divers swimming thru their space. I've said it here before but I've literally rubbed shoulders with 4' muskies in the St.Lawrence and gigantic tarpon in the Caribbean.

Just a thought. I'm old but I can still dive. :P

JF

How do you determine that.... I ask because I do a LOT of fishing in shallow lakes.... two of them are less than 10 feet deep at their deepest.

Thanks

http://www.fishfinder-store.com/howfifiwo.html

Mine is a 20degree as well...so I would benefit from a larger degree as well as most of my fishing is in 5-20ft of water.

I don't think I can get one for my LMS-522 though :(

Edited by scugog

My choice would be the Humminbird 718.

http://humminbird.factoryoutletstore.com/d...ems-718-generously proportioned.html

nice big screen.

Dual beam transducer (20 and 60 degree) with side imaging.

2400 watts, strong enough... but not too strong to spook the fish in shallow water.

... and you can add the GPS later with purchased options.

This unit is also available at BassPro for $14 more. :rolleyes: