It pays to change things up!!

asdve23rveavwa

Had an interesting day Steelheading yesterday. Went to one of my favorite rivers, low and clear (keep this rain coming) walked it for five hours, not even a hit. Handful of other anglers all having the same amount of success as myself. Decided to change things up by hitting one of the rivermouths a little further south, put away the noodle rod, broke out the 9fter. Switched over to spoons...second cast resulted in a 25" chrome male, followed up by a 23" female less than an hour later. I guess the message is...don't be afraid to try different spots/techniques...I feel that too many of us steelheaders get stuck in one type of fishing, be it float rods, bottom bouncing, etc...if you are fishing from a pier/rivermouth, or deep pool on a large river, DON'T be afraid to break out your spinners or spoons...they can turn a fishless day around.

I agree, good for you for giving up on an unproductive strategy! Was it a Cleo or something really different?

Some of my most enjoyable catches have come from casting hardware in the streams, much more rewarding than catching fish under the float.

Another thing I see a lot is guys doing is popping or ripping their float routinely at the end of every drift!! YIKES!...a gradual lift of the rod tip is all that is needed to begin your retrieve, and your are giving yourself another slim chance at a hook-up! I had a small steelhead actually chase my roe bag to the surface and strike at it creating a splash, as I was doing just that last week, so I lowered my rod tip to let the roe bag sink slowly and sure enough the fish came back and swiped at it and I hooked up and landed that fish. I got to see the whole thing unfold, it was like flipping a senko to a bass :D

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Tony, you mean a snagged fish doesn't count? lol

I noticed this while fishing south of the border ALL the time.. If I see the float bobble or something similar I'll set the hook, but at the end of the drift if it's not doing anything special I'll just reel it in.

Don't misunderstand me...I am in no way advocating chucking spoons in places where the odds are you will snag a fish....these two were both caught on a pier. I have no time for rippers/snaggers...or force feeding fish for that matter...come spring time, leave the fish on the beds alone guys.

Don't misunderstand me...I am in no way advocating chucking spoons in places where the odds are you will snag a fish....these two were both caught on a pier. I have no time for rippers/snaggers...or force feeding fish for that matter...come spring time, leave the fish on the beds alone guys.

You should be telling that to the guy with flyrods :)

Throwing small spinners and spoons at rivermouths and estuaries has always been productive for Great Lakes fish.

Even caught lakers, smallies, walleyes etc. The floats/roe seem better in the winter in this area at least back in the day.

other thing I see a lot is guys doing is popping or ripping their float routinely at the end of every drift!! YIKES!...

Tony

Seems this popping is popular! kinda like snagging but not often discussed. :P