First steelhead ever!

danjang

I had posted before about catching my first rainbow and brown on the same day. I guess a smolt doesnt count like Stonefly had pointed out. Totally fine with me.

Nice Brown,...so your First real river Fish is a Brown before you catch a steelhead? (the smolt doesn't count, I caught about 100 of those today...) Now that is the defintition of Beiginner's luck. ;)

DOES THIS COUNT?! :D

dsc00613j.jpg

AND THIS!

dsc00614cj.jpg

I went to a few eastern tribs early in the morning (5:30) in search of my first real steelhead. First two blew chunks, just a trickle of water. So I went to my usual fall back where I hooked my first brown. I dont know why I don't just go straight there. Few drifts into this pretty popular pool and the float goes down! I actually had to jump down to the riverbank and crawl under trees to fight this fish (No waders :( ). At the next pool just down river, few drifts and floats down again! This time a smaller, prettier steelhead. All together I went 3 for 6 and learned that a 14' rod in thick woody areas = lots of lost tackle. All worth it though :).

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

nice bow. quick tip though, wash the fish off before you snap a picture...looks a lot better when you do...and if you are releasing the fish it appreciates not having crap stuck all over it!

cheers!

Thanks guys. About the crap on it, the river bank is fairly high up from the water. Usually I have a fishing partner to help me land but that time I had to solo. I've tried taking the fish straight from the water for a quick picture but that resulted in me slipping in on two separate occasions :/. The second fish is going to be my dinner :).

I'll be getting waders soon so I wouldn't have to leave the water to snap a picture.

My dad was fishing the pool down stream. I called him over for the picture. As for the snagging... Yup they just snagged themselves on my hook! I was using 4 lose chinny roe bags and when I ran out switched to a mix of pinkworm/single eggs. Pinkworm had no takers but the singles worked.