winterizing a boat

zman

Well I am trying to winterize my own boat but I am having a bit of trouble

I water in my gas tank and I emtied all the water but I still can't to seem to getit running

Also just to let you know I have a 9.9 evenrude 4 stroke and a 90 2 stroke

What should I do if I can't get it going , I can'treally afford to take it to a local marina.

Drain the carburaters, all the gas lines under the hood all the way to the quick connect fitting and drain all the gas from the fuel line from the tank to the motors. There's no other way to make sure all the water is out. Take the plugs out and dry them off as they may have gotten wet too.

a certain percentage of water shouldn't cause a no start. if you have drained everything, then jam it full of fresh gas. this should dilute the water in the tank to a negligible amount, and you could eliminate that from your no start problem. it is arguably better to store your fuel tanks full of fuel anyway, it reduces the amount of water and condensation you can get in the tanks and lines (add stabilizer). to properly fog your engine and winterize your boat you really need to have it running first, you want to make sure things like stabilizer and fogging oil are run thru the engine. drain things that carry water, and leave things that don't full.

I would drain everything as per Fisherman's recommendations and install new fuel filters and spark plugs! Then drain all the old gas out of the tank(s) and fill with new fresh gas... while you're working on them you might as well change the oil and filter on the 4 stroke and the lower unit lube on both motors.

I would not put the motors to rest for the winter unless they were running properly, if there was indeed water/moisture in your gas and you let them set over the winter... your problems will only be compounded come next spring by corrosion!!!

I would drain everything as per Fisherman's recommendations and install new fuel filters and spark plugs! Then drain all the old gas out of the tank(s) and fill with new fresh gas... while you're working on them you might as well change the oil and filter on the 4 stroke and the lower unit lube on both motors.

I would not put the motors to rest for the winter unless they were running properly, if there was indeed water/moisture in your gas and you let them set over the winter... your problems will only be compounded come next spring by corrosion!!!

Good advice from the south

Take it.

Just spent a little while putting mine away today after the last quick outing, change oil and filter, new fuel filter, all gas lines drained including the ones from the connector to the carbs, carbs drained, tank & line drained, gas was put into the car. Battery is out and on the little smart charger, only thing left to do is drain the lower unit and refill. Next, jack up the trailer, pull the bearings and regrease them and install new double lip seals. Trailer stays jacked up, no weight on the tires, no flat spots.

Just spent a little while putting mine away today after the last quick outing, change oil and filter, new fuel filter, all gas lines drained including the ones from the connector to the carbs, carbs drained, tank & line drained, gas was put into the car. Battery is out and on the little smart charger, only thing left to do is drain the lower unit and refill. Next, jack up the trailer, pull the bearings and regrease them and install new double lip seals. Trailer stays jacked up, no weight on the tires, no flat spots.

Hey Crab!... do you fog your cylinders on that 4 stroke?... just curious... in case I should ever be up north in the freezing ass winter. ;)