Au Revoir French Bass - Nov. 8 Report...

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

With the warm weather forecast for today, Andy and I decided to head up to his Quebec-cottage lake one last time before calling it quits on the season.

On our first spot by 10:30am, and began working the underwater finger slowly and methodically as in past trips..

Quebec1-4.jpg

Fish were tough to come by, and we only put one fish in the boat in the first half hour. Our thoughts for a banner day quickly began to unravel.

Weather was absolutely mint, and with the calm winds and high sun, fishing in comfort was a given. Water temp. was a fairly consistent 43-degrees throughout the day.

With our first spot showing less than braggin' rights results, we made our way to our deep flat that is adjacent to a point. This area has been sketchy the last few outings, and it seems it can either cough up the Motherlode, or produce slim pickings. We began working the 19 to 21-foot sand/silt bottom, and Andy was first to connect with a fish..

Quebec2-4.jpg

Quebec3-4.jpg

Tossed out a marker buoy, and picked off another three quick fish from 19 feet down, all largies. Came on either a tube or plastic craw. Continued to fish the area, but the fish had quickly left.

Shortly after, while taking a break to chomp on a pepperette, I had a decent smallie bite down on my craw as I dragged it along bottom..

Quebec4-3.jpg

The bait..

Quebec5-2.jpg

Quebec6-2.jpg

Picked up the odd fish here and there, but it was really slim pickings. At this point, Andy suggested we take a break and troll. Not being a big fan of this technique, I agreed, if only to allow me to eat our cache of Cherry Blasters and Potato Chips with a free hand..

Our first pass produced this..

Quebec7-2.jpg

Quebec8-2.jpg

The little smallie hammered the bait. That was to be the only one, and after a few more runs, we abandoned the cranks.

Headed back to our finger, but only had one more bite, and the last smallie of the Quebec season was put in the boat.

With the sun slowly dipping, we cruised back to the launch and packed up our gear. Only managed to put 11 bass in the boat today, and had very few additional bites on top of that. Tough, tough fish, but a fun one all the same.

This will be the last time I'll be making it to Quebec for this year. Will try to squeeze another trip in down here, but the boat will be put to bed this week or next. Always a sad time..

Good Fishing,

Justin