SK Fishing Report

holdfast

It was a beautiful weekend in sunny SK with near record temps for this time of the month. Before anyone blames global warming, this kind of makes up for our coolest summer in decades. All my fishing gear is put away and chance are, there is ice on the lakes, so I decided once and for all, Id fix those trailer bearings. Seems I'm changing bearings at least once a season and I got sick and tired of driving anywhere on pins and needles so I decided to take the axle off. One spindle was worned that my left end cap was too small for the right spindle. Anyways I brought the axle to Browns Axles and basically he told me the original wasn't strong enough so he would make me a new one.

Yup a bigger Axel and two new spindles for $200, probably less that what Ive payed in the last couple of years doing the bearings myself, and once with a mechanic. The problem is, will it fit.

PB070005.jpg

Here is the original clamps that will now not fit the new axle as it is too small

PB070003.jpg

So off to the Garage and make something up. Here is what I came up with, Bolts and plates

PB070006.jpg

I was lucky as everything seems to fit pretty good. Things lined up to the original square plates. You will notice that I have one homemade plate on the bottom of the Axle.

PB070001.jpg

PB070002.jpg

PB070007.jpg

PB070008.jpg

I'm going to keep an eye on it as I'm wondering if I should of doubled the home made plates as you can see it is bent around the axle. Also I had to drill two holes in order to fit the axle over the centre plate nut. Because the axle is hollow, I has put silicone around it.

On a different story there was an accident this week on the very road that I traveled last Sunday from Big River. It was absolutely treacherous as I white knuckled my self an extra 1.5 hours than normal. I near lost the truck a couple of times due to ice. Here is the story, as I was curious on where this accident occured.

http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoeni...fe-d974a48bc352

So on the way back I decided to find where this slew was.

PB080009.jpg

Entering the reservation

PB080012.jpg

Last weekend I slid through this T junction missing a truck, that's when I found out it was icy, up to that point I had no Idea.

PB080013.jpg

Typical reservation Homestead

PB080014.jpg

Yup, right grid all right

PB080018.jpg

I figured it will be along this stretch

PB080019.jpg

Yup this has to be it

PB080024.jpg

PB080025.jpg

They even left a fire Blanket here. We used these woolen blankets with our stretchers in the Military

PB080027.jpg

Id say with the debris, the track marks, broken ice, this was the horrible spot

PB080022.jpg

Pretty sad, I imagine there will be a marker here that I will pass by on the weeknds now.