Taking to the waters of Rice Lake after dark offers peace and solitude

Spiel

Taking to the waters of Rice Lake after dark offers peace and solitude

October 31, 2009

TERRY CURTIS / www.northumberlandtoday.com

Night time, autumn walleye.

Is there a more relaxing, peaceful way to fish?

Not in my books.

For years and years now my father, Leo, and I have been fishing night biting fall walleye along the shoreline in the shallows of Rice Lake, unhindered by other boats and noise, sometimes the only boat on the water.

And, I might add, with great success.

It seems Dad and I aren't the only ones who enjoy the solitude and peaceful waters at this time of year.

The walleye aren't shy at all and move right up into the shallow water right along the edges of the remaining docks in the lake. In fact, we often catch them in three feet of water or less. That's not a misprint. Three feet of water or less!

With no boat traffic or swimmers on the lake at this time of year, the walleye feel perfectly safe following the perch right up on shore and that's where we concentrate on catching them.

Forget the weed clumps and edges you should be fishing in daylight hours for walleye in seven or eight feet of water. The walleye will vacate these areas just around dusk, moving to the shallow water and feeding there in short binges until about first light.

Dad and I slow troll these shallows and it's a very, very rare occasion when we don't get a quick limit of fish.

Hey, it's not rocket science. The walleye follow their food source and at this time of year it's right up tight to shore.

The trick is to match the food the walleye are hitting and in the Kawartha Lakes you can bet its mostly perch or black and silver minnows.

For that reason, we always, always use 3 1/2" Original Floating Rapalas. I prefer the silver/black combo while he prefers the perch pattern. That said though, when a full moon occurs, I live and die by the gold/fluorescent red hues especially when fishing after ten P. M. For some reason walleye can't resist them on a full moon. Why? Beats me, all I know is it's the hottest ticket in town for about four or five nights before the full moon and about three nights after when fishing late nights.

Seven-foot medium heavy action rods and 10-lb. monofilament line are our gear of choice. A little "TIP" for you though. Place a #8 split shot about 14 inches up from the lure (it makes the RAPALA wiggle more) and never, never use a leader or swivel with these baits. Tie directly to the lure so you get the most action out of it. Oh, and if you really want to get a hard hit reach up ahead of your reel and give the line a couple of hard tugs every few minutes or so. Any following walleye will almost immediately whack your lure because when you jerk on the line it makes the bait wobble and flutter like an injured minnow and that is precisely what old Mister Marble Eyes wants. An easy snack. Hey, why waste all that time and energy chasing lively darting minnows when there's a sickly, slow moving one right there?

Also, when you get a walleye, turn your boat around right there and then and troll back through the same water you just covered. Walleye don't travel alone and Dad and I often catch all of our fish in one very tiny area by doing this, sometimes in a one hundred foot stretch of water. If one fish is there feeding you can bet it will have company because there is a food source in that location that drew it in.

If, after catching a few walleye in one area and the bite suddenly dies, carry on trolling along the shoreline.

The fish will move along these shallows following the perch and minnows as they move. Move slowly and quietly and you'll soon discover the next feeding site as well.

One last thing. Well, almost.

Do yourself a favour and don't troll along steep banks. The walleye won't usually be there at night this time of year. Instead, fish shallow sandy, pea gravel areas. That's key to your success as is the importance of having working lights on your boat, a smooth running motor and all your safety gear. It's very cold out there at night, safety is very important. Each angler should carry their own flashlight too, not just for unhooking fish and line foul-ups but just in case ones dies. It usually happens when you need one the most! Been down that road too often!

Lastly, before you head out for these tasty late-night treats, do yourself a real favour. You can thank me later.

Purchase a bag of Darryl Cronzy's breading and batter mix.

I've tried and tasted countless fish batters over the years and last week I gave this one the taste test on some fresh perch. How good is it?

I had to count my fingers when I got done eating!